| GOLF 2019 US Open Championship

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Greens are running fair so that's a great start. After last year they need to get this one right.

If Koepka wins his 3rd straight Open he may want to find him a good sports shrink. When he enters a tourney, that's not a major, he's Clark Kent. He does need to figure out how to take his cape to the regular courses. What a weird golfer.

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Come on, Phil! It's past time, which is a big enough problem, for him to win the career slam.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
The USGA has just issued an All Points Bulletin for the coastal breeze. Day 2 at the Open and the wind is MIA. How low can you go?

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
The USGA has ruined the US open! Multiple players in double figures. 30 plus under par. They have brought the everybody gets a trophy to the open!!! I stopped watching as I am sure many have.. it is like watching the Houston open!!

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
The USGA has ruined the US open! Multiple players in double figures. 30 plus under par. They have brought the everybody gets a trophy to the open!!! I stopped watching as I am sure many have.. it is like watching the Houston open!!

Actually, they lost the tournament last year and with it a lot of the player's respect. This year was about getting it back. It's hard to see how the wind not blowing was the USGA's fault. Pebble Beach couldn't protect herself. The same has happened at some of the British Open Ocean Courses over the years. So nothing new.

Congrats to Woodland!! Yesterday and today I kept waiting for the pressure to bust the pipes on a golfer that has never scared a major before. Instead, it was Rory, Rose, Oosthuizen, Koepka, Fowler and a host of other big-time players that couldn't keep up.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The USGA has ruined the US open! Multiple players in double figures. 30 plus under par.
This one wasn't their shining moment. No doubt. I recall seeing a list last night about the number of players who have had four rounds in the 60's in US Open play and won the tournament. Four have recorded such scores. Four, in the history of the tournament champions.

Actually, they lost the tournament last year and with it a lot of the player's respect.
Complaining and respect don't go hand in hand. And, like I said last year, the notion that they "lost the tourney" rings hollow. It's supposed to be the toughest course layout they play all season.

The USGA has made some mistakes in the past. Having a tough course last year isn't one of them. Not watering Shinnecock mid tourney was definitely one of them.

I don't think it's a coincidence we see younger guys complaining when they're struggling. We didn't see that when we saw the pin placements at Olympic and those were the hardest I've seen in my years following the PGA. Guys like Payne took what the course offered: quintessential golf. And that's not even mentioning Beth Page Black in 2002?

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
And, like I said last year, the notion that they "lost the tourney" rings hollow. It's supposed to be the toughest course layout they play all season.

The USGA has made some mistakes in the past. Having a tough course last year isn't one of them. Not watering Shinnecock mid tourney was definitely one of them.

Amazing deductive reasoning on your part. USGA put these golf courses on the edge to fulfill their definition of what a US Open should look like. You admit they should have watered the course on Saturday, they made mistakes but didn't lose the integrity of the tourney that day.

Even soft-spoken players like Zake Johnson among a host of others said they lost the darn thing, the USGA president came out and apologized to the players for letting the course dry out and get away from them, they were taking fire hoses to the course before the last group could play through. The media agreed and proceeded to go into great detail the last time that occurred in 2002 and your in denial of what it all really means.

USGA doesn't need your defense, they just need to make sure the greens and rough are difficult without being stupid. They certainly accomplished that this weekend. The guy playing the best golf of his life won the thing. The bounces were true, the right guys were rewarded for risking trouble when hitting out of the rough, sandtrap, or just going for a narrow green. That's all I want in a US Open or any other major. Be fair.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
@TUSKtimes,

USGA doesn't need your defense
Gosh, you're missing the point of what the US Open is and should be. And you're right. They don't need by defense because they did nothing wrong last year except cow to a small group of whiners.

Along with that there's a huge thing that's being missed and should be required of a professional: you don't whine like a little bitch when the course beats you. That's what it's supposed to do.

Zach Johnson? The third round beat him that weekend. It also beat Phil which led to his unforced and stupid error by double hitting the ball.

That. Is. The. Game. Of. Golf.

Loser whine.
Winners adjust and overcome.

As a last note:

The US Open is supposed to get reactions from players. It's supposed to present challenges they don't face on any other course during any other tournament. Here's one of the most accurate and telling quotes I've ever read about this tournament.

The things it does may be wrong, but it functions as a bright spotlight, exposing the most sanctimonious, whine-prone players in the sport.

To that, there is no debate.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
@TUSKtimes,

Gosh, you're missing the point of what the US Open is and should be. And you're right. They don't need by defense because they did nothing wrong last year except cow to a small group of whiners.

Along with that there's a huge thing that's being missed and should be required of a professional: you don't whine like a little bitch when the course beats you. That's what it's supposed to do.

Zach Johnson? The third round beat him that weekend. It also beat Phil which led to his unforced and stupid error by double hitting the ball.

That. Is. The. Game. Of. Golf.

Loser whine.
Winners adjust and overcome.

As a last note:

The US Open is supposed to get reactions from players. It's supposed to present challenges they don't face on any other course during any other tournament. Here's one of the most accurate and telling quotes I've ever read about this tournament.

The things it does may be wrong, but it functions as a bright spotlight, exposing the most sanctimonious, whine-prone players in the sport.

To that, there is no debate.

Lawdy, plant corn fields in the rough and pour concrete on the greens. Your tirade still travels, congrats!

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
Extra Point Club
Reaction score
I am with you Terry. Our Open is supposed to be the "toughest test in Golf" but it looked more like the waste management open. That isn't what I watch the US Open for.

The players always bitch about it but they all want to win it because they beat the best in the world on the toughest set up possible. The USGA shouldn't have bowed down to a couple players who were getting beat by the golf course. As a player, I want to see the best in the world struggle and overcome adversity for 1 week a year.. which was my original point. THe USGA fucked up the US Open!

Elderfalsedemigod

Not an alter...maybe an altar
Century Club
Reaction score
I do like to see the US Open be a tougher set up than what we normally see. I really don't blame the USGA for for the course playing easier this year. 0 wind and all the moisture made the course somewhat vulnerable. I will say that I think Pebble is one of the courses that is more subject to local conditions making it more vulnerable

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
I personally thought Pebble played pretty dang tough this past weekend. I mean, it was cool cause everyone had on vests and sweaters, the greens were small, and we saw a ton of tough shots, chilly dipped chips, balls go off the side of cliffs, and even a guy snap a club over his knee. The worst conditions I ever saw was Bethpage Black a while back and it seemed like the most difficult course in the world that year. I guess 2002 cause Terry brought up the same course and a year. Thirteen under par does not hurt my feelings. my beloved Augusta gets scored on like that a decent bit now, but that does not mean the golfers haven't struggled and that the course was not tough. For every -13, there was a +13. Waaaaay more guys over par than under. I enjoyed watching. Though I much prefer a different broadcast team. I freaking can't stand Joel Klatt. Mainly for his football views, but still, can't stand the guy.

Top Bottom