Baseball 2018 UA BSB --Tide drops series against Texas A&M

RollllTide!

HEY Get up your killing the grass!
You know I am in Terry. I follow pretty much everything Bama. I am excited with some of our new guys and the way we can hit the ball. We have also fielded it pretty well so far. I think our issue will fall on pitching.. who steps up, who grows up fast and can we pitch it well enough to give our defense and improved offense a chance to win.

We have gotten off to a great start but we haven't played against the best competition so far. We play in the best conference in the country so if we can keep winning in the non-conference and go around 500 in the SEC games I would call it a homerun year for Coach Bo in his first year.
Hey I'm in too. Looking forward to a great season and I do have a suggestion for the change your avatar group. Not that I am complaining and I believe to each his own, however this would be more in line with your Handle @Destiny's Child

mikeprice.jpg

G

Google Inc.

Alabama baseball: Game time, details for matchup with Oklahoma (March 2, 2018)
Atlanta Journal Constitution

Alabama baseball team will travel to Oklahoma this weekend for a three-game series with the Sooners. The two teams will kick off the non-conference pairing on Friday at 6:30 p.m. CT followed by a 4 p.m. CT first pitch in Saturday’s contest. The Sunday finale from Norman is set to start at 12 p.m. CT. The series opener on Friday can be seen live on SoonerSports.com, with the final two games of the weekend airing live on Fox Sports Oklahoma+.

How to follow Alabama baseball vs. Oklahoma

Watch: SoonerSports.com ( Friday ) || Fox Sports Oklahoma+ ( Saturday / Sunday )

Listen: 102.9 FM / CTSN / TuneIn App

Twitter: @AlabamaBSB

Live Stats: SoonerSports.com

What you should know about Alabama baseball vs. Oklahoma
  • Alabama heads into this weekend’s series with Oklahoma at a perfect 9-0. The Crimson Tide was 2-0 in midweek contests at Samford and against Alabama State following a three-game sweep of Washington State last weekend. The 9-0 start to the season is the best by an Alabama team since 2002 when Jim Wells’ squad started 10-0.
  • The 9-0 start for first-year head coach Brad Bohannon matches Wallace Wade (1924) for the second-best start to a head coaching career at Alabama. The all-time record for wins to start a head coaching stint with the Crimson Tide is Kid Peeples’ perfect 10-0 season in 1897; Peeples only coached for one year.
  • Alabama and Oklahoma will meet for the first time in Norman and fifth time overall on Friday evening when the Crimson Tide and Sooners begin a three-game series this weekend at L. Dale Mitchell Park.
  • The Crimson Tide is a perfect 4-0 against the Sooners in series history. The first time the two programs met was from Feb. 10-11, 2001, in Tuscaloosa. Alabama secured the sweep in the season-opening series, taking both games of a doubleheader on Feb. 10. UA won game one of the day, 10-8, before blanking Oklahoma, 5-0, in game two for the series victory. The Tide wrapped up the sweep the next day with a 6-5 win.
Probable pitching matchups
FRIDAY : UA – Sam Finnerty (Jr., RHP) vs. OU – Jake Irvin (Jr., RHP)

SATURDAY : UA – Jake Walters (Sr., RHP) vs. OU – Devon Perez (Sr., RHP)

SUNDAY : UA – TBA vs. OU – Kyle Tyler (Jr., RHP)

Google Inc.
Alabama baseball: Game time, details for matchup with Oklahoma (March 2, 2018)

Last edited by a moderator:

TerryP

I play triangle in an air band.
ADMINISTRATION
Let's kick some Sooner ass!!!
It's too bad Mayfield doesn't suit up...but I digress.

As the worse case scenario I'd like to see Bama win at least one of three. Two, or a sweep of the weekend, makes the SEC schedule a little less daunting from a confidence standpoint with the pitchers as CBB still works on how this rotation will works its way out.

If Bama can pull two out of three this weekend there's a good chance they'll welcome Georgia to "The Joe" boasting a 17-1 type record. That I find to be...well, a little shocking considering there were only 19 wins on the season last year.

Today, if given the choice of Bama hosting a regional but not making it to the Supers, I'd take that in a heartbeat. We'd be looking at a team that was picked to finish last in the SEC media days poll(s) who is now on the national radar (and that's happening with a good number of the baseball sites like D1baseball, et. al.

(Continuing these thoughts in the official baseball thread in a few minutes.)

TerryP

I play triangle in an air band.
ADMINISTRATION
Just a look ahead to this weekend and beyond leading up to Bama's SEC opener.

As of this morning Bama has nine more games left until UGA visits Tuscaloosa to start SEC play.

If there's a baseball "BPI" version it would be interesting to see how many of these games they feel Bama has a good chance of winning. What I've seen so far are results few, if any, expected on offense. Aside from run scoring capabilities, the thing I've taken away from these first few games is it's given the pitching staff a time to gain some confidence. Much like the game of golf, I view that factor as a big determiner when it comes to a pitcher having success--confidence goes A LONG WAY!

What we know? CBB should be using this weekend to get a firmer grasp on the rotation we'll see in a few weeks. So far it's the achilles heel for this team--likely the weakest area on this years roster.

Here's the thing. I see teams like S. Miss, New Mexico State, and Alabama A&M and see games where the Tide should win--yes, win all of them. That confidence, combined with the energy boost it'll give any team, sets up this squad well. There's a very realistic chance for us to see this Tide team sitting on two or fewer losses going into the weekend of the 16th through the 18th.

BTW, on offense ... how good is it to see players being very aggressive early on at the plate and then "draw it back" to playing conservative as the count gets later? Dare I say "fundamental baseball?"

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
Their approach at the plate has been the biggest and brightest thing for me. Being aggressive early on good pitches instead of jumping on just any pitch has been pleasing to the eye. I don't know if we can get 7+ innings a night from our starti rotation, but it seems CBB is lookig to get 5+ from them and then play the pen guys inning by inning with Duarte as the closer. I'm pleasantly surprised after last year's cluster frick!!

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
1-1top of the 9th. Holcombe with a double to drive in the run. After bragging about our offense, we currently have 2 walks, 1 HBP, and 13 K's. Sam Finnerty with 8 innings on the bump, 8 hits, 2 K's, 2 walks, 1 earned run.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
@252BAMA go to rolltide.com and follow live stats.

Free baseball tonight as Kyle Cameron worked himself into trouble and then out of it. On to the 10th knotted at 1 with 9,1,2, and 3 due up for BAMA. I always call out 4 when we are batting. Done it since my playing days at the park under my Dad. He always told us we weren't going 3 up 3 down, so why should he only call 3 names.

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Tide suffers first loss of the young season

NORMAN, Okla. – Alabama baseball fell to Oklahoma, 2-1, in extra innings on Friday evening at L. Dale Mitchell Park. The loss is the first of the season for the Crimson Tide and moves UA to 9-1 overall.

"That was a really great college baseball game tonight that could have gone either way," said Alabama head coach Brad Bohannon. "Unfortunately, they made one more big play than we did. I'm really proud of the way our kids competed. Hats off to (Oklahoma starter) Jake Irvin and Oklahoma's bullpen tonight; they were impressive. Sam Finnerty and Kyle Cameron did a great job of giving us an opportunity to win this game. I'm excited to see how we respond tomorrow."

In a pitcher's duel, each team's starter provided its club with a quality start followed by a strong outing from the bullpen. Sam Finnerty tossed a career-long 8.0 innings and a career-high 102 pitches. The junior right-hander allowed one earned run on eight hits and two walks while punching out a pair. Redshirt sophomore Kyle Cameron entered for the final 2.1 innings of relief, allowing one unearned run in the bottom of the 11th, which would prove the difference in the game.

Jake Irvin, the Oklahoma starter, worked 7.0 innings of one-run baseball with 11 strikeouts before handing it over to his pen. The four Sooner relievers combined for 4.0 innings of scoreless baseball in the win, striking out six and allowing only one hit.

Oklahoma took a 1-0 lead after one inning of play. The first batter of the day got aboard with a walk to start the inning, and a sacrifice bunt moved the Sooner leadoff man into scoring position. A single in the next at-bat put the runner 90 feet away before a sac fly to center crossed the game's first run.

The two teams went scoreless until the Tide evened things up in the top of the sixth. Hunter Alexander led off the inning with a walk. Two outs later, junior Keith Holcombe doubled to left field to bring the senior Alexander home and make it a 1-1 game.

Alabama had a chance to take the lead in the 10th, advancing a man into scoring position with two down, but was unable to capitalize on the opportunity. In the 11th, the Tide used a leadoff walk and a two-out walk to put a man in scoring position once again but could not gain the lead.

In the bottom of the 11th, a fielding error to lead off the inning put one on for the Sooners. A sac bunt moved the runner to second and the very next hitter sent a single to center to walk it off for Oklahoma.

Alabama's offense was led by Holcombe who finished 2-for-5 with a double and the Tide's lone RBI of the night. The junior extended his hitting streak to eight games with the multi-hit performance. Senior Chandler Avant also extended his hitting streak, this one to 10 games, with a 1-for-4 evening.

The Crimson Tide looks to even the series up tomorrow afternoon. Alabama will call on senior right-hander Jake Walters in the start while Oklahoma sends Devon Perez, also a senior righty, to the hill on Saturday. Game two of the series can be seen on Fox Sports Oklahoma+ with a 4 p.m. CT first pitch.

Extra-Innings Affair Favors Oklahoma as Alabama Baseball Loses, 2-1, on Friday Evening - Alabama Athletics

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
The Tide hung around until an eight-run eighth by the Sooners put the game out of reach

NORMAN, Okla. – Alabama baseball suffered a 16-4 defeat at the hands of Oklahoma on Saturday evening at L. Dale Mitchell Park. The Sooners claim the series victory with the win, while the Crimson Tide moves to 9-2 on the season.

"We got outplayed in every area of the game tonight," said Alabama head coach Brad Bohannon. "It's tough to win when you walk the other team nine times and make three errors, and Oklahoma did a very good job of taking advantage of our mistakes. We need to put this one behind us and get back to playing clean baseball tomorrow, just like we did the first 10 games of the season."

Oklahoma recorded 17 hits and nine walks on the way to 16 runs. The Sooner offense jumped out early with two runs in the first, followed by four in the fourth and two in the sixth. OU eventually put the game out of question with eight runs in the eighth to secure the win.

The Sooners got on the board early for the second consecutive day, plating a pair in the first. The Sooners used two hits and two walks, all with two outs, to take the early lead. An OU single followed by two walks loaded the bases, and a single up the middle in the next at-bat crossed two to make it 2-0 after one inning of play.

Alabama cut the lead in half in the fourth. A leadoff walk from senior Chandler Avant gave UA a baserunner. Two outs later, fellow senior Cody Henry sent a double into the right field corner with Avant coming all the way around from first to score and set things at 2-1. In the bottom of the inning, the Sooners crossed four, tallying four hits and two walks in the inning to take a 6-1 lead after four full.

Oklahoma added two more in the sixth. A one-out single followed by a two-out, two-run home run increased the advantage to 8-1 for the Sooners. Alabama then answered with one in the seventh and two in the eighth to make things interesting.

The seventh began on a Cobie Vance walk, with the junior advancing to second on a passed ball one out later. Senior Hunter Alexander then doubled into the right field corner to cross Vance and give the Tide two runs on the day. In the eighth, the Crimson Tide got a man on in Henry, who was followed by walks to Vance and junior Chandler Taylor to load the bases with two down. Senior Hunter Alexander capitalized on the opportunity, driving in a pair with a single up the middle in the next at-bat, cutting the OU lead in half at 8-4.

Oklahoma added eight runs in the bottom of the eighth to put the game out of reach. The Sooners collected the runs on seven hits, two walks and an error in the inning to set the score at 16-4, the eventual final.

The Crimson Tide offense collected four runs on nine hits and nine walks, highlighted by a 3-for-5 day from Alexander. The senior first baseman tallied a double and a team-high three RBI on Saturday. Junior Keith Holcombe finished 1-for-4 to move his hitting streak to nine games, while Avant went 0-for-4 to end his hitting streak at 10 games.

Alabama will look to secure a win in the series finale on Sunday. The Crimson Tide and Sooners are set for a 12 p.m. CT first pitch on Fox Sports Oklahoma+. Alabama will send right-hander Sam Gardner, a junior, to the hill while the Sooners look to junior righty Kyle Tyler.

Baseball Suffers 16-4 Loss at Oklahoma on Saturday - Alabama Athletics

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
We needed to rebound big after yesterday's loss. The 2-1 loss in 11 on Friday night stung, but we really needed to get our confidence built back up today. I'll take 13 runs on 18 hits ANY DAY!!!