BSB/SB 2018 UA BSB --Tide drops series against Texas A&M

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
I've considered this for a bit so I'm going to "let her fly," so to speak.

I know there are several of us that follow the baseball throughout each week. With as many as four games in a weeks span it's easy for some discussions to get "lost" considering a subject might come up in a mid-week game, we find ourselves watching the weekends' action, and then--as message forums tend to do--the subject gets dropped due to other discussions.

So the thought crossed my mind we should try to have one thread that discusses things around the program and continue with our game threads for easy access to scores, highlights, etc. Here 'tis. If this isn't such a good idea the "forum gods" will see it on page three soon...if not, let's see how this works for the '18 season for baseball (and softball as soon as that thread is started.)

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
On to baseball matters:

A few things I have found encouraging with only six games played so far this season. Don't misunderstand my view of improvement as one that also thinks this team is going to have a hell of a season. I'm still of the opinion we see the Tide struggle at times. (Some of those reasons are covered here.)

That said, here are a few things of note so far in '18.

Last weekend when the Tide hosted Valpo they were down late in games two and three. Both ended with the Tide coming out on top. Why is that of note to me? Last season under Goff the Tide found themselves down in the 7th-9th innings 27 times. How many times did we see a comeback? Zero. As in nadda. 0-27, folks. Coming out of the action last weekend the Tide changed that tune to 2-0 with comeback victories Saturday and Sunday.

Yesterday wasn't late inning comebacks but the Tide did find themselves down in both games. But like against Valpo the offense began to roll and the Tide secured to W's.

Here's a few numbers from yesterday: 27 runs on 20 hits. There's reason to have hope the Coach Bo has brought offense back to "The Joe."

In case you've forgotten, do you remember what a cluster this team was when Goff decided he'd do a massive roster purge? To me, it's a testament in resiliency on how these guys have come together as a team.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
I've got some comments about the first few games I'm going to throw up here in the next couple of days... Who's going to follow this year's season and Coach Bo?

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
I'm in! Saw a tweet from the baseball account and @TerryP it is on point with what you are saying about offense. Keith Holcombe is currently leadig the nation in BA .684 and OBP .739 and 15th in the nation is slugging % 1.000. Also, in 6 games this season, we have produced 58 runs. It took us 12 games under Goff to reach that same production last year. This seems to me that Coach Bo and company have these guys going to the plate with a plan and not just going up hacking at everything the pitcher is throwing, including the 56 foot curveball.

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
You know I am in Terry. I follow pretty much everything Bama. I am excited with some of our new guys and the way we can hit the ball. We have also fielded it pretty well so far. I think our issue will fall on pitching.. who steps up, who grows up fast and can we pitch it well enough to give our defense and improved offense a chance to win.

We have gotten off to a great start but we haven't played against the best competition so far. We play in the best conference in the country so if we can keep winning in the non-conference and go around 500 in the SEC games I would call it a homerun year for Coach Bo in his first year.

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
HARRY'S
Because of you guys, you are the reason I following the other Bama sports. Thank you all for this too!

I am in. This weekend both baseball and softball games were on SEC +, in ESPN app. At one point I was watching both. It is heartening to see potential relevant sports in the spring. And indoor track won SEC tournament. I will have to break out the sunscreen and go watch the Tide Roll.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
HARRY'S
I'm in! Saw a tweet from the baseball account and @TerryP it is on point with what you are saying about offense. Keith Holcombe is currently leadig the nation in BA .684 and OBP .739 and 15th in the nation is slugging % 1.000. Also, in 6 games this season, we have produced 58 runs. It took us 12 games under Goff to reach that same production last year. This seems to me that Coach Bo and company have these guys going to the plate with a plan and not just going up hacking at everything the pitcher is throwing, including the 56 foot curveball.
No b!tching if Holcombe loses a step, guys....just kidding.

UAgrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
13-3 tonight versus Samford. 10 hits, 12 earned runs, 7 walks, 3 HBP, and only 6 K's.
Chandler Taylor was 2-3 2HRs 4RBIs.
Keith Holcombe 2-5 on the night. Came into the night leading the nation in BA and OBP.
This bunch is seeing the ball well and taking a confident approach to the plate.

EasyTider

Attention Whore
After what has happened in basketball over the last 2 weeks, not sure if I can make it through more heart break.

Seriously though, I played some college baseball and my son did as well. I know the game pretty well but not our team so much. Not sure if the quality of opponents is very strong at this early part of the season, but from what I've read coach Bo is a quality coach, we're hitting the ball and we are off to a great start. Last year, we lost several games early in the season to teams that an SEC quality team shouldn't be losing to. (Especially mid week games like a Samford). Getting a couple pitchers back from injury to bolster the returning and newcomers should mean we are deeper as a staff this year. Like football and basketball, SEC schedule will be brutal but Bama baseball looks to be something (cautiously-still hurting from basketball game) to be excited about this season.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Friday at 6PM
Saturday at 4PM
Sunday at 12PM

SoonerSports, an affiliate of FOX, has the streaming video Friday with Saturday and Sunday's games being carried by Fox Oklahoma+
-----

Bama opened the season against Valpo winning all three games but having to come from behind to win Saturday and Sunday's games. Last weekend Valpo was in Norman winning game one by nine runs and going to extra innings in their loss to the Sooners. Is this of note? We'll see. The thing that jumped out to me was the Sooners scoring seven runs over those two games. Bama plated 34 runs over the three days hosting Valpo.

OU is receiving votes in the latest polls but not enough to put them in the top 25. They're getting attention but no more so than this Tide squad...and they're turning a few heads. (9-0 is a fun start to the season. It's a little difficult to imagine seeing them only scratch out 19 wins all last season.)

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
I know the game pretty well but not our team so much.
Good luck with that. With the "roster management style" of last year as a starting point you're going to hear names that you'll be asking "who?"

Case in point--and you may know this one--this season is Joe Breaux. That's such a baseball name. He's off to a good start.

. Not sure if the quality of opponents is very strong at this early part of the season, but from what I've read coach Bo is a quality coach, we're hitting the ball and we are off to a great start. L
This certainly comes into play and through two weeks I'm impressed (if only for the numbers of wins.) I'm still looking at mid-week pitching but not just under the terms of wins and losses.
I think our issue will fall on pitching.. who steps up, who grows up fast and can we pitch it well enough to give our defense and improved offense a chance to win.
How is this pitching rotation going to come together? Like I said ^up there^ I'm looking at the number of pitchers CBB can get some quality innings from. Personally, I want a roster that'll give me at least seven guys I can use Friday and Saturday...then the jinx of Sunday comes into play. Take a team like Florida and you'll see some crazy Sunday games from them this season and that's a hell of a pitching staff. I like what Walters brings as well as Finnerty but I don't see them as seven inning guys through conference play.

When I start walking down the rosters I'm seeing sophomores and thinking "need 'em to develop" and then think of those that've 'shirted and it's that freakin' injury/rehab word again.

Top Bottom