NEWS 2018 NCAA Coaching changes - MacIntyre- Ole Miss DC: Dillingham to Auburn as QB coach, OC

Featured Thread #81
Assuming Locksley interviews and accepts the Maryland job. Keep him through the playoffs or send him on his way?
Send him packing and promote Enos, bring Butch onto the field.
The offense we saw all year is due to Locks because the spread concepts we see are concepts Locks brought Bama—it's the reason Saban hired him.
Yeah but he shat the bed last night..

He knew Tua was gimped after the first drive, yet he still continued to put him in harm's way with longer-developing pass plays that were unsuccessful.

Why was Jalen so successful? Because Locksley changed the game plan for him, with short and intermediate routes, mixed in with some rushes.

Why didn't he take what Georgia's press-man D was giving and use those same short-intermediate route plays with Tua?

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION

He knew Tua was gimped after the first drive, yet he still continued to put him in harm's way with longer-developing pass plays that were unsuccessful.

Why was Jalen so successful? Because Locksley changed the game plan for him, with short and intermediate routes, mixed in with some rushes.

Why didn't he take what Georgia's press-man D was giving and use those same short-intermediate route plays with Tua?
I don't see it this way in the least. Not at all.

Tua hanging on to the ball longer than he should has been called into question for the last several weeks. If a receiver takes longer to get open is that the play call or is that on the receiver? If it's a running play the the back fumbles is that on the player or the play call? We saw a number of drops last night which was indicative of a team not executing to its best. That's not a "hot take" of mine by any means. It's a simple observation.

We saw some very sloppy play last night and there's certainly some criticism that's justified. As elementary as this reads, Locks wasn't dropping passes or fumbling the football. (It's noteworthy that Locks was addressing the team on things like this in the fall—we saw it a few times on Training with the Tide.

It's amazing that Bama had what, four fumbles last night and recovered all four? That's not on Locks, that's on execution. Tua threw two INT's last night and had a third dropped. That's on Tua, not on Locks. How many times did we see the receivers drop balls last night? I can think of four pretty quickly. Again, not on Locks. That's on the execution—the players.

I believe a lot of people are getting lost on Tua not having a great game and putting it on Locks. It's as if a lot believed Tua was going to have a monster game each time he set foot on the field. One, that's pretty unrealistic. And two, it's not taking into account the point Kirby and Tucker had been game planning for Bama since spring camp.

This seems to be such a circular discussion. When Tua had a great game it was all Tua. It had nothing to do with Locks putting players in position to make those plays. When Tua has a bad game it's all on Locks in spite of the fact those same plays were there, but missed.

I'm not really surprised to see criticism of Locks. It fits with credit being misplaced and blame as well. And, it goes back a few years. When Jalen was setting records it was all about Kiffin. When he struggled, it was all about Jalen. The bar continually moves and I don't see it as a fair shake for the staff or the players.

I don't see it this way in the least. Not at all.

Tua hanging on to the ball longer than he should has been called into question for the last several weeks. If a receiver takes longer to get open is that the play call or is that on the receiver? If it's a running play the the back fumbles is that on the player or the play call? We saw a number of drops last night which was indicative of a team not executing to its best. That's not a "hot take" of mine by any means. It's a simple observation.

We saw some very sloppy play last night and there's certainly some criticism that's justified. As elementary as this reads, Locks was dropping passes or fumbling the football.

It's amazing that Bama had what, four fumbles last night and recovered all four? That's not on Locks, that's on execution. Tua threw two INT's last night and had a third dropped. That's on Tua, not on Locks. How many times did we see the receivers drop balls last night? I can think of four pretty quickly. Again, not on Locks. That's on the execution—the players.

I believe a lot of people are getting lost on Tua not having a great game and putting it on Locks. It's as if a lot believed Tua was going to have a monster game each time he set foot on the field. One, that's pretty unrealistic. And two, it's not taking into account the point Kirby and Tucker had been game planning for Bama since spring camp.

This seems to be such a circular discussion. When Tua had a great game it was all Tua. It had nothing to do with Locks putting players in position to make those plays. When Tua has a bad game it's all on Locks in spite of the fact those same plays were there, but missed.

I'm not really surprised to see criticism of Locks. It fits with credit being misplaced and blame as well. And, it goes back a few years. When Jalen was setting records it was all about Kiffin. When he struggled, it was all about Jalen. The bar continually moves and I don't see it as a fair shake for the staff or the players.
Ha..

So why did Locks not ohhh, you know... That OL Saban mantra "TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE GIVE YOU" And call more shorter pass plays?

I don't recall seeing a single slant, screen, or even a hitch last night..

You set up the deep ball when the opponents D is giving you press man with slants and hitches.

He failed to do that.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
@Sgt. Lincoln Osiris,
@Sgt. Lincoln Osiris, I think what @TerryP is saying that the passing routes were not properly checked down. Tua trying for the homerun instead of dinking and dunking.
And SLO, you mentioned earlier how they were playing press a lot on the receivers. They weren't able to get as open, as quickly, as they had in the past.

There comes a point where you have to give credit where it's due. The UGA defense did a good job last night while being aided by an offense that simply wasn't in their normal rhythm.

@Sgt. Lincoln Osiris,
@Sgt. Lincoln Osiris, I think what @TerryP is saying that the passing routes were not properly checked down. Tua trying for the homerun instead of dinking and dunking.
And SLO, you mentioned earlier how they were playing press a lot on the receivers. They weren't able to get as open, as quickly, as they had in the past.

There comes a point where you have to give credit where it's due. The UGA defense did a good job last night while being aided by an offense that simply wasn't in their normal rhythm.
Again, not a single hitch or screen.

Maybe not completed... but we did throw several screen attempts. One almost went for a pick 6.

You should go back and re-watch.

A lot of the down field passes were correct reads with a poor pass. Tua was late on many of his throws last night for some reason. Again, I think most of those passes were the correct read, just a bad pass.

Saw this on the SECrant barn page

quote:
Malzahn told his assistants at a Sunday morning staff meeting he was not going anywhere. Other sources confirmed that president Steven Leath and trustee Raymond Harbert, who represented Leath in negotiations with Malzahn, will move forward with Malzahn.

bama alum

Verified Member
HARRY'S
Saw this on the SECrant barn page

quote:
Malzahn told his assistants at a Sunday morning staff meeting he was not going anywhere. Other sources confirmed that president Steven Leath and trustee Raymond Harbert, who represented Leath in negotiations with Malzahn, will move forward with Malzahn.
He's gone turn this thing 'round.

BamaBoyJosh

Verified Member
It's as if a lot believed Tua was going to have a monster game each time he set foot on the field. One, that's pretty unrealistic. And two, it's not taking into account the point Kirby and Tucker had been game planning for Bama since spring camp.
I seem to recall the resident "asshole" on this board saying this very thing and being labeled a "Tua hater" for it.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Maybe not completed... but we did throw several screen attempts. One almost went for a pick 6.

You should go back and re-watch.

A lot of the down field passes were correct reads with a poor pass. Tua was late on many of his throws last night for some reason. Again, I think most of those passes were the correct read, just a bad pass.
I believe the notion a lot of that had to do with him dealing with his ankle and it's effect on his throws.

SLO has a point about there being shorter dump-offs available. We're also talking about Tua. He still has that "gunslinger" mentality. In the preseason I feared it would result in a few untimely interceptions. It has led to some incompletions when other completions were there.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
It's as if a lot believed Tua was going to have a monster game each time he set foot on the field. One, that's pretty unrealistic. And two, it's not taking into account the point Kirby and Tucker had been game planning for Bama since spring camp.
I seem to recall the resident "asshole" on this board saying this very thing and being labeled a "Tua hater" for it.
I'm pretty sure I remember the conversation you're referring to. I had an issue with what you were saying as well—though it wasn't that big of an issue. If I recall correctly, it was about the offense putting up 500 per game which we've seen a lot. 60 points per game was unrealistic—which you pointed out.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
We talked about this within the last week, week and a half.

I have to wonder if Sankey is still pissed off about telling Freeze and his staff "we know what you're doing, stop" and that was ignored.

Top Bottom