Football The Bad,The Good and The Very Good vs. Mercer

Birdman37

Verified Member
Good - offense was perfect with 1st and 2nd team in there.
Got the starters out quick and went DEEP into the depth chart.
Dylan Moses looked like the 5-star he is, was literally all over the field. One huge caveat is that it was Mercer. Every game from here on out will be a much different animal.
Deionte Thompson looked excellent after Ronnie got hurt.

Bad - Yet another injury, though it looks like it wont be too serious.

Ugly - The fact that Alabama is still playing these types of games every year.

RollllTide!

HEY Get up your killing the grass!
Good First, second, & third string
Bad Ronnie Harrison getting hurt
Ugly Too bad these seniors will be gone next year.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Dylan Moses looked like the 5-star he is, was literally all over the field. One huge caveat is that it was Mercer. Every game from here on out will be a much different animal.
A caveat is Mercer. Seriously?

First start, first interception. I don't care who you're playing against.
11 tackles and he leads the team. 10 of those were solo. That's strong as shit and I don't care who you're playing against.
Four of the tackles were for a loss. I guess anyone can do that against Mercer.

Booger threw that up on Twitter earlier today and here you are as well. To both I say ...

'65 Cobra

Verified Member
The Good - Dylan Moses!!!! Just Wow! He was all over the place; 11 tackles, 10 solo, 4 TFL and he was in how many quarters? Dude is awesome! Both first and second strings of the offense.
The Bad - Umm, let me come back to that...
The Ugly - Well, I suppose it could have been a prettier day. :D

Birdman37

Verified Member
A caveat is Mercer. Seriously?

First start, first interception. I don't care who you're playing against.
11 tackles and he leads the team. 10 of those were solo. That's strong as shit and I don't care who you're playing against.
Four of the tackles were for a loss. I guess anyone can do that against Mercer.

Booger threw that up on Twitter earlier today and here you are as well. To both I say ...

Where did I say it wasn't a great game? It was. It was still Mercer. You can argue against it all you want but you're being pretty silly if you think Mercer's o-line can come close to getting to the next level and getting a hat on backer like Auburn, Georgia or pretty much every other team in the conference. The majority (if not all) of those tackles were with Moses running around free.

bama alum

Verified Member
HARRY'S
Good: DEPTH! And lots of reps for them!

Bad: Kickoff coverage

Dummy (same as ugly): Not putting Bama bucks on the spread

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
Where did I say it wasn't a great game? It was. It was still Mercer. You can argue against it all you want but you're being pretty silly if you think Mercer's o-line can come close to getting to the next level and getting a hat on backer like Auburn, Georgia or pretty much every other team in the conference. The majority (if not all) of those tackles were with Moses running around free.
You didn't. You said Mercer was a huge caveat.

The way he played today, if we'd had the same game out of Rashaan, we wouldn't see "it was against Mercer." It would be he had a great game.

Birdman37

Verified Member
You didn't. You said Mercer was a huge caveat.

The way he played today, if we'd had the same game out of Rashaan, we wouldn't see "it was against Mercer." It would be he had a great game.
So, you ignore everything else positive I said because I think it was a weak level of competition and not necessarily indicative of what his play will be against better opponents? :skeo:

That is not a very good comparison, my friend and a massive straw-man. We've seen Rashaan do that against EVERYONE. We've seen Moses do it against Mercer. How do you not see the difference there? If Moses continues to excel next week and going forward, that is much different and I hope he will. I'm just not going to give this kid expectations I dont think he can live up to.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
We've seen Rashaan do that against EVERYONE.
Your whole position falls apart right here.

Rashaan, as one example has a game best five tackles this season. Harrison has a game best of six.

Four tackles for a loss puts him in the top ten in Alabama football history. I know Derrick owns two of the top five and Gilbery has two as well.

Tackles for loss on a national scale: I glanced through the top nine and only one player has more in a game this season than he did--the guy ranked #1.

Saying "but it's against Mercer" diminishes the fact he had a hell of a game. It has no place in the conversation, at all, as I see this.

Birdman37

Verified Member
Your whole position falls apart right here.

Rashaan, as one example has a game best five tackles this season. Harrison has a game best of six.

Four tackles for a loss puts him in the top ten in Alabama football history. I know Derrick owns two of the top five and Gilbery has two as well.

Tackles for loss on a national scale: I glanced through the top nine and only one player has more in a game this season than he did--the guy ranked #1.

Saying "but it's against Mercer" diminishes the fact he had a hell of a game. It has no place in the conversation, at all, as I see this.
Rashaan had 10 tackles against LSU and nine against MSU, what are you talking about? Not that sheer number of tackles shows a players impact.

You can have a problem with it or disagree, but that doesnt change the fact that the level of competition is not even remotely in the same stratosphere of any of the other teams we're about to face. That is a fact. Period. You seriously made a massive mountain out of a mole hill, here.

I agree that he had a terrific game, awesome game. My point was just not to get too excited until we see him do it consistently and against the type of talent he will have to see.

Good - First team offense efficiency. O Line blocked very well on the handful of pass plays for Jalen. Loved the first drive play calling and wish we could see more of that... Ran it up their ass about 6-7 plays and had 2 nice passes down the field.

As noted some young guys got good experience. Moses played well but I'm with Bird... It was Mercer at home. Great way to get his feet wet though.

Thank goodness no more serious injuries.

Got to rest Minkah. Thank goodness

Bad - Punt returns. Marks not coming up and catching a few of those punts is worrisome. Doesn't seem like he (or anyone else gets a good read on those balls)

Ugly - Kickoff coverage. Gave up a couple long ones that looked way to easy... Especially compared to normal when that group is special

I know I'm reaching... They flat took care of business today it was fun to watch.

TUSKstuff

Riding The Wave
Moses instincts and physicality was on full display. We kept hearing about him being a man among boys and today you could see why. Dylan is so quick to the ball and watching him call out a lot of the signals was amazing. I didn't know he could do that? When he tackles he wraps up well and delivers a thump. When you have athletes that are just freakish, like Dylan, coaches just need to dumb down some reads and get them out there. I know that goes against everything Saban believes in, but it didn't take Dylan long to start reacting and playing fast.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Bad- playing a team NOT in the group of 5.

Good-lots of youngsters played.

Very Good- another successful senior day for some special young men.

another successful senior day for some special young men.
That is the only reason I see for continuing to play Mercer and schools like them. I am sure we could find FBS opponents that are equivalent but at least games like this allow every Senior to get in for at least a play or two. Some of those guys have basically been scout team and bench warmers for upwards of 5 years and they may never play another snap in their lives.