Basketball The bad losses in basketball's pre-conference slates.

TerryP

ADMINISTRATION
We saw one when Bama took on UCF a few days ago. It was one of those games we've seen--at Bama, and a lot of other schools. If you missed it, UCF shot 50% from beyond the arc in the first half (5-10) and then shot 60% from the floor in the second. (For a good stretch of that second half they were around 70%.) Of course, Bama had their issues shooting...35% or so in the second half.

Last night Florida drops their home game to Loyola-Chicago. Their coach (UF) called his team soft. On the late night SC I heard numbers that were along the lines of 13-16--referring to a shooting streak Loyola went through. On UF's night, 2-19 beyond the arc (kills any team.)

To the original point ...

Arizona goes into a tournament and loses to an unranked team. Florida did last night. Kansas did last night as well. There's three top five teams will those types of losses.

Notre Dame (currently ranked 10th) drops a game to unranked Ball State. Minnesota is looking at their game with Nebraska and wondering who they were that night--another ranked losing to an unranked.

Avery says "Buckle Up." The season...the way it's starting across the board? May be good advice for all teams this season.

TUSKstuff

Riding The Wave
Bama is playing so many freshmen and this uptempo style is just asking for turnovers and mistakes. We seem to be a decent rebounding team and we will play defense, which is how we're getting anything done at this stage. Last night we couldn't keep our best player on the court and yet we gutted out another close win. Even Ingram and some of the upperclassmen are as sloppy with the ball as the younger Petty and the heartstoppers.

I feel for Avery.

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
I rewatched the game last night and I was impressed with out team.. at least as much as I was unimpressed with the way we played against UCF. Against UCF we allowed them to dictate the tempo and took shots not in the rhythm of the offense. They wanted to slow it down to a snails pace and we went right with it, had a bad shooting nights (mostly because we took bad shots) and missed at least 5 layups.. that will get you beat. Our Freshmen looked like freshman that night.

Last night we faced adversity with sexton being knocked out of the game early, Rhode Island is a great defensive, senior laden squad that will be an NCAA team. They force turnovers on everyone, it's what they do. We had up to a 13 point lead during the game and Rhode Island went on a run. We gutted it out and really played well down the stretch..

I know it sounds weird but to me that was a quality win and one that I think will look better and better as the year progresses.

TheChief

Verified Member
URI is a turnover machine. I thought Bama played well. AJ Junior usually protects the ball, and he was even susceptible last night.

If the Tide beats either Oklahoma, Arizona, or Texas and goes 9-9 in SEC play (I think we do better), I think this team's in with about 20 wins. By year's end, I think the RPI is still high. The SEC Tourney and regular season is up for grabs this year as well.

Still feeling good about the Dance.

Destiny's Child

It's Rolling Baby
URI is a turnover machine. I thought Bama played well. AJ Junior usually protects the ball, and he was even susceptible last night.

If the Tide beats either Oklahoma, Arizona, or Texas and goes 9-9 in SEC play (I think we do better), I think this team's in with about 20 wins. By year's end, I think the RPI is still high. The SEC Tourney and regular season is up for grabs this year as well.

Still feeling good about the Dance.

Agreed. I think Arizona and Oklahoma are doable Texas looks really good to me and that center and point guard they have will be a tough mach up for us. That guard from Texas southern and the one from URI got in the lane at will against our guards. That Texas guard will hang 30 on us if we don't do a better job moving our feet and that center has like an 8 foot wing span and is athletic