Basketball Looking ahead to the SEC tourney: Could Bama get a "double-bye" for this years tourney?

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
Here's the latest standings. If the tournament were played today we'd be looking at facing LSU (as a #10 seed) on Thursday.

LSU is on the road tonight (2/7) and facing LSU. Things could look the same come Thursday morning, the 8th, although a LSU win in Gainesville will shake things up a bit.

Again, if the season ended today ... that would also mean a Bama win over LSU in Thursday's action would lead to playing the Vols on Friday. UT has been looked at as a possible #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

d.png
c.png

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
So, more than likely Bama vs. LSU in the second round?
Your guess is as good as mine. Bama's sitting at 6-5 along with three other teams--two of them have the tie-breaker versus Bama.

With LSU's loss to UT last night they flip places with UGA in the SEC standings so we'd be looking at Bama vs UGA. LSU still has UGA on the road on their schedule.

Seven games left on Bama's regular season schedule and it still translates to a lot of ball to play.

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
I have no idea why this guy hasn't deleted this tweet as of yet. You can't even call this a conspiracy theory because all good conspiracies have a little truth at the core. Now, don't be surprised this is all about the officials ...

Although the University of Alabama basketball team didn’t appear to take too much of a hit from its 67-63 loss at Mississippi State on Tuesday, the word “bubble” is beginning to be heard in bracketology circles again.

The Crimson Tide, 15-9 (6-5 SEC) with an RPI of No. 42, haven’t quite dipped back down to that level, but the margin for error to make the NCAA Tournament is getting smaller with just seven regular-season games remaining.

It the middle of a tough stretch, with three of the next four opponents ranked, Alabama hosts No. 15 Tennessee (18-5, 8-3 SEC) on Saturday at 6 p.m. (SEC Network).

Alabama’s remaining schedule prior to the SEC Tournament in St. Louis, March 7-11:
  • Tuesday vs. LSU, 9 p.m. ET (SEC Network)
  • Feb. 17 at No. 24 Kentucky, 2 p.m. ET (CBS)
  • Feb. 21 at No. 8 Auburn, 8:30 p.m. ET (SEC Network)
  • Feb. 24 vs. Arkanas, 7 p.m. ET (SEC Network)
  • Feb. 27 vs. Florida, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN/ESPN II)
  • March 3 at Texas A&M, 2 p.m. ET (ESPN/ESPN II)
Here are the latest projections from numerous college basketball experts:
ESPN (Joe Lunardi): As of Thursday had Alabama as a No. 9 seed in the East, playing Florida State in Pittsburgh.
CBS (Jerry Palm): On Friday, Alabama was listed as an No. 10 seed in the East, playing Providence in Charlotte.
Teamrankings.com: Lists Alabama as having a 72 percent chance of landing a bid (down from 80 percent before the Mississippi State loss), and projects the Crimson Tide to be a No. 9 seed.
SI.com (Michael Beller): As of Thursday, Alabama was a No. 9 seed in the Midwest, paired against Washington. No site location included.
USA Today: As of Thursday, Alabama was the No. 7 seed in the South, paired against Nevada at Dallas.
Yahoo Sports (Brad Evans): As of Wednesday, Alabama was listed as the top No. 10 seed.
HoopsHD.com: As of Thursday night had Alabama as a No. 8 seed in the East, facing North Carolina State in Boston.
Selection Sunday is set for March 11.

TUSKstuff

Riding The Wave
Right now, I just hope Bama can figure out how they're having success and repeat it. Avery has promised this up-tempo, high flying, scoring machine. But Avery can see by now this bunch desperately needs to slow it down, play under control, play half court offense and just like the previous 2 years, play to our defense. That style represents pretty much all our success this season and frankly, even a blind man can see these high flying teams we've been playing hate it with a passion. Defense is a bitch.

Our problem is scoring. When we need a basket we have limited options. Last game Petty had 5 pts. Ingram had zero and Jones had 1 pt.
This is unacceptable. I think tomorrows game is the biggest of the season.

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
Kentucky vs A&M is a big game to keep an eye out on tomorrow. At the end of the day there's a good chance Bama will be tied with one of them . If a lot of things fall Bama's way they could enter Tuesday's action (hosting LSU) sitting at #3 in conference standings with six games remaining.

b.png c.png

TUSKstuff

Riding The Wave
Man, I enjoyed every second of that beatdown. Fishback was saying Bama could be a final 4 team. Avery said it would be great if we could just have 4 good possessions. That kind of sums up the season so far. But a good butt-whopping of the vols is priceless.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
I'm telling you, put a number in front of an opponent and our boys will come to play. I hope we get to see what our boys can do in the tournament.

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
Kentucky vs A&M is a big game to keep an eye out on tomorrow. At the end of the day there's a good chance Bama will be tied with one of them . If a lot of things fall Bama's way they could enter Tuesday's action (hosting LSU) sitting at #3 in conference standings with six games remaining.
UK lost its third in a row which drops them out of a tie for fourth. Mizzou's win drops MSU as well.

All this leaves Bama sitting in a tie for fourth, the tie-breaker going to Missouri. If the tourney were to tip-off today we'd still see Bama opening on Thursday. They'd face the winner of GM1 (UofSC vs OM.)

With a win against LSU Tuesday night, and a loss by Mizzou (A&M visits Columbia) Bama should be sitting in fourth by itself. We very well may be looking at Bama sitting a couple of games ahead of UK with four weeks of action left.

a.png b.png
c.png d.png

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
I'm telling you, put a number in front of an opponent and our boys will come to play. I hope we get to see what our boys can do in the tournament.
Building on this a bit ...

In the UT game thread you guys probably noticed Bama's record against Tier 1 teams. That number is equal to a few teams, like 'Nova and Virginia, who are looking at #1 seeds in the tourney.

I've seen several make mention of that note but follow it with a caveat of "horrible losses." That's true, but this season I believe it needs to be taken into context.

Back in December I noticed how many ranked teams were losing to unranked teams. A month ago we saw examples of this when Duke drops a game to NC State--that happens with the Wolfpack in the ACC often--while also seeing Xavier drop a game to Providence. This has been happening all season and it marks the first time in NCAA/AP Poll history that every ranked team has a loss (with a lot of them to unranked teams.)

The point of note here is that if we were sitting here this morning, but it was 2017, we'd have a concern. This year? I don't see those ugly losses carrying the same impact they would in any other season.

TerryP

Waltersobchakeit
ADMINISTRATION
@planomateo You may have to resign yourself to being an A&M fan tonight. If you'll handle that side, I'll root against UT.

IF things shake out Bama's way with UT taking a loss to UofSC, UF taking a loss to UGA tomorrow (it's in Gainesville,) and A&M getting a W when they face Mizzou tonight...Bama could wake up Thursday morning in sole possession of second place in the SEC standings.

IF the tourney started today Bama would face the winner of UofSC vs Ole Miss.

4.png