Football Centers grip on football

There's the "right" way and then there's the "preference" way. In theory the ball is supposed to be snapped so that the laces come into the QB's throwing hand so that he doesn't have to spin the ball to align the laces with his fingers. On the other hand, a QB may just want to get the ball comfortably, or allow the center to snap the best way for him (the center) to get the ball up. If the center doesn't get a clean snap, it doesn't matter where the laces are.

Looking at the picture, it looks like Tua will be the only one to get the laces into his hand.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
Homer Smith was a stickler for how the QB held our hands under center. EVERY QB had to have their right hand as the top hand!! I was the lone lefty in the bunch, so it meant I had to change. For the center, it was more about comfort and being able to keep control of the ball during the snap process.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
I was not a quarterback, but of the notion that it doesn't likely matter as securing the transfer of the ball is the most important factor. A decent quarterback can get his hands set in a split second while he surveys. As was mentioned as well is that most quarterbacks can throw a ball no matter what as long as they keep their pointer finger on the tip to allow the ball to spin off their hand. I did play some scout team quarterback when I was in 9th grade, so I was privy to a little live snap action, but not much.

TUSKstuff

Riding The Wave
I was not a quarterback, but of the notion that it doesn't likely matter as securing the transfer of the ball is the most important factor. A decent quarterback can get his hands set in a split second while he surveys. As was mentioned as well is that most quarterbacks can throw a ball no matter what as long as they keep their pointer finger on the tip to allow the ball to spin off their hand. I did play some scout team quarterback when I was in 9th grade, so I was privy to a little live snap action, but not much.

It still amazes me that fundamentals are sometimes so poor on very successful QBs. I guess they just have amazing arms anyway and it works. From taking the snap for granted to carrying out simple ball fakes to foot placement to stepping up in the pocket. The fact that a lot of college QBs can go through 4 or 5 years of intense QB study and many still aren't fundamentally sound is really strange.

BamaFan334

Verified Member
It still amazes me that fundamentals are sometimes so poor on very successful QBs. I guess they just have amazing arms anyway and it works. From taking the snap for granted to carrying out simple ball fakes to foot placement to stepping up in the pocket. The fact that a lot of college QBs can go through 4 or 5 years of intense QB study and many still aren't fundamentally sound is really strange.
I agree, especially with the coaching emphasis they get year round.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Homer Smith was a stickler for how the QB held our hands under center. EVERY QB had to have their right hand as the top hand!! I was the lone lefty in the bunch, so it meant I had to change. For the center, it was more about comfort and being able to keep control of the ball during the snap process.
Coach Smith would also get down on the ground at the QB/C pre-practice session and make sure the exchange was clean. I went to 3 clinics in the late 80's and he did this every day. Personally, I liked my left hand on top and right hand underneath. If the ball is turned just to the right, like in two of the photographs, the ball will come up correctly every time for a right handed QB.

sk33tr

el jefe
HARRY'S
then again, it may be the way the qb wants the ball. they may work on it with each qb/center combo to make sure that no matter who the qb or center is on the field at that time, the ball will get snapped the way the qb wants it. repetition breeds success.

How so? If the laces are going to be right for him, how are they not going to be right for the other two?
He's a lefty. Since the closest and the furthest centers have their hands on the laces, when the ball is snapped it will move from this | to this --- position. The centers don't spin the ball to move the laces.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
Coach Smith would also get down on the ground at the QB/C pre-practice session and make sure the exchange was clean. I went to 3 clinics in the late 80's and he did this every day. Personally, I liked my left hand on top and right hand underneath. If the ball is turned just to the right, like in two of the photographs, the ball will come up correctly every time for a right handed QB.
We also had to have 20 "perfect" snaps as well. Jeff Dunn would screw with him occasionally. Coach would close his eyes and count the perfect thud. Jeff would walk beside him popping the ball against is off hand. Coach Smith was a true QB coach as well as a great play caller! We used to work on a hot topic here that everyone fretted with about Jalen last year and has he gotten better. THE DEEP BALL. The manager used to drag a 55 gallon drum and place it on the goalline between the sideline and numbers. We would then take a 7 step drop from the 35 yard line, gather our feet, step and throw. We should be releasing the ball from the 42 yard line and dropping the ball into the drum. Coach Smith always said that if you had to throw the ball further than 42 yards, you were at fault. You held the ball too long, your were too slow with your drop, you slowed the WR down and allowed the DB to catch up to the WR and the ball. Most frustrating drill I ever went through. I could get back and get my depth, feet set and get the air under the ball. I just couldn't ring the damn barrel!!

We used to rotate with every center and every guard that could snap the ball. Even though I was a walk on, I took snaps from Zuga, Shultz, Garner, Patterson, Sheils, etc.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
I was also wondering would the center change the way he snaps if Tua came in
We always took snaps from every guy that could snap it. Never know if the QB or if the center went down. I want to say that Chip Garner was a lefty center while I was there. Mike Zuga, Roger Shultz, Trent Patterson, Toby Sheils were all right handed I believe.

We also had to have 20 "perfect" snaps as well. Jeff Dunn would screw with him occasionally. Coach would close his eyes and count the perfect thud. Jeff would walk beside him popping the ball against is off hand. Coach Smith was a true QB coach as well as a great play caller! We used to work on a hot topic here that everyone fretted with about Jalen last year and has he gotten better. THE DEEP BALL. The manager used to drag a 55 gallon drum and place it on the goalline between the sideline and numbers. We would then take a 7 step drop from the 35 yard line, gather our feet, step and throw. We should be releasing the ball from the 42 yard line and dropping the ball into the drum. Coach Smith always said that if you had to throw the ball further than 42 yards, you were at fault. You held the ball too long, your were too slow with your drop, you slowed the WR down and allowed the DB to catch up to the WR and the ball. Most frustrating drill I ever went through. I could get back and get my depth, feet set and get the air under the ball. I just couldn't ring the damn barrel!!

We used to rotate with every center and every guard that could snap the ball. Even though I was a walk on, I took snaps from Zuga, Shultz, Garner, Patterson, Sheils, etc.
You, my friend, know what the heck you are talking about. I played QB forever and coached football for almost as long. Not that your need my approval but just saying.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
You, my friend, know what the heck you are talking about. I played QB forever and coached football for almost as long. Not that your need my approval but just saying.
After being coached by Homer Smith my freshman season, I absorbed and learned so much. I knew nothing coming out of HS. I coached HS for 13 years and coached the position like Coach Smith taught me. It always pissed the HC off because I was spending "so much time on nonsense". Been out of it since Coach Saban landed in T'town and I haven't missed it outside of teaching the kids the game. My son is a sophomore now, so I often pass along my words of wisdom to him. I coached LBS as well and that is my son's position.

uagrad93

Jack of all trades!!
HARRY'S
I miss the teaching of the game as well. Good luck with your son. Details are not nonsense. Details is the difference between Brady and Cutler. Both have the arm and can put the ball where ever they want. But..............
A couple of the HCs that said as much, thought the forward pass was illegal!! Only threw it on 3rd down when EVERYONE IN THE FLIPPING STADIUM KNEW WE WERE GOING TO THROW IT! Naturally, the passes didn't end well. I had better luck beating my head against the wall!!