STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER bamafan4ever's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGirl View Post
    You summed it up perfectly. I'm a northerner but I totally agree! I find folks up here are much more obsessed with race and stereotyping the south. I find the comments insufferable when I tell folks how much I love the state of Alabama and the people and the food and the football etc etc. it's my favorite place and even though I'm a Philly native, I defend it (except Auburn) like I'm Alabama born and bred. My dad's ancestors do hail from the south originally so maybe that's it :)
    No mistake about it then. It's in your blood. :)

Registered Users ALL-AMERICAN bamaledge's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right Philly about the prejudices in the north. I now live in Michigan and they are more obsessed about razzing me about Alabama than they are at supporting Mich. or Mich. state. Some Mich. state people still hate Saban and I think that's hilarious. The women though, have another stereotype for me just 'cause I'm from the south and I think that's funny also., but I'm getting way off course. I find there is just as many or more "rednecks" near where I live than in the whole state of Alabama. Suffice it to say that most of my fondest memories of Alabama football is due to black players and /or what the team accomplished. That is all I'm going to say on this subject.

RTB STAFF - SITE IMAGE DESIGN HEISMAN BamaJay73's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaledge View Post
    The women though, have another stereotype for me just 'cause I'm from the south and I think that's funny also., but I'm getting way off course. .
    Ok, I got to ask, what is the other stereotype.

Registered Users ALL-AMERICAN bamaledge's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well endowed.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaledge View Post
    Well endowed.
    This is one stereotype you should roll with!

Thanks to mrchase!

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of thoughts: (1) There are white Alabama fans who secretly don't want a black Tide QB, period, regardless of ability, but there are people of this mindset everywhere (not just at Alabama) and the people who think this way are not in charge of recruiting or player development at Alabama. (2) The absence of prominent black quarterbacks at Alabama is part and parcel of a larger problem, namely that Alabama has not produced an NFL caliber QB, of any skin color, over the past approximately 30 years. Richard Todd (circa 1982) was the last Bama product/NFL starter of any note, and Kenny Stabler (circa 1970) was the last truly great Alabama quarterback. So, by force of logic, if we are not producing starter NFL quarterbacks, at all, then we are not producing any black ones, which perhaps gives rise to the perception that we are not giving black quarterbacks a chance.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissingRing For This Useful Post:

bamaraider (10-11-2013), Birdman37 (10-10-2013), tidentrue (10-10-2013)

Registered Users HALL OF FAME MEMBER Birdman37's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ This is true I've heard the "black QBs aren't smart enough" argument from people in the past unfortunately and I dont mean the distant past. My dad used to have that same mindset which is embarrassing but the many amazingly black QBs that have invaded football over the last 15 or so years has changed his mind completely. Michael Vick is his favorite player to watch, I mean its hilarious to see the man crush he has on Vick. He was actually more interested in Winston's recruitment than I was and he was devastated when he signed with FSU and is still bitter about it (so am I) lol Hes been cheerleading Blake Sims and the hope that he gets a chance to start because of his athleticism and mobility.

As far as the NFL QBs go Greg and Brodie have started... but I think AJ is gonna change that perception in the next few years.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets not forget Vince Sutton.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The past is the past. Whether or not we've had black quarterbacks isn't relevant to his argument. He says we don't actively recruit black quarterbacks and won't play them now.

It's hard to believe that he doesn't know who our head coach is, and that would be the only plausible explanation for his argument. Because if he knows Nick Saban is coaching a Bama, (and I think it's a safe bet that he does) he also knows that if we haven't had a black quarterback since 2007 it's because our best quarterbacks have been white. Saban wants to win, and there is no way in hell he'd sit a black quarterback who gave us a better chance at winning. Furthermore, Can anyone really believe that Saban would allow some big money booster(s) to dictate what he puts on the field? If there ever was a day that some good ole boy with deep pockets had a say so in who played what position for Alabama, it hasn't happened in the last 6 seasons.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it” --Albert Einstein

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argo For This Useful Post:

BamaJay73 (10-11-2013), bamaraider (10-11-2013), Crimson&WhiteGecko (10-11-2013), Eabama (10-11-2013)

RTB MEMBER HEISMAN Crimson&WhiteGecko's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    The past is the past. Whether or not we've had black quarterbacks isn't relevant to his argument. He says we don't actively recruit black quarterbacks and won't play them now.

It's hard to believe that he doesn't know who our head coach is, and that would be the only plausible explanation for his argument. Because if he knows Nick Saban is coaching a Bama, (and I think it's a safe bet that he does) he also knows that if we haven't had a black quarterback since 2007 it's because our best quarterbacks have been white. Saban wants to win, and there is no way in hell he'd sit a black quarterback who gave us a better chance at winning. Furthermore, Can anyone really believe that Saban would allow some big money booster(s) to dictate what he puts on the field? If there ever was a day that some good ole boy with deep pockets had a say so in who played what position for Alabama, it hasn't happened in the last 6 seasons.
    BINGO!!!

If you do the same thing you've always done you'll get the same results you've always gotten.