STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER psychojoe's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman37 View Post
    I know it is, I have to show it everytime. I said I understand the ppl in places like NYC have literally never had a drivers license and I also said I understand the other side of it being needed.

That doesn't change how I feel about certain members of the GOP flat out saying they are doing this to make it harder for democrats in certain places. Thats horrid and makes me not give one ounce of a shit about stopping this "rampant voter fraud" (so rampant that they have proven something like 13 cases ever). I also find it amusing to hear ppl try to suggest that someone like Al Franken could have benefited from baseless claims of voter fraud (without flat out saying) but guarantee didn't hear a peep in 2000 when there was REAL fraud going on.
    I assume that you are referring to the Florida presidential vote? If fraud was ever proven, I somehow missed seeing it. Every organization that recounted he votes, including the Associated Press and several newspapers, found that Bush won. all the garbage about dimpled chads and hanging chads occurred in a county controlled by the democrats, who approved the ballot design that caused the problems Amazing that there I still whining about this after all the years.
    The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.

Milton Friedman

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saw the topic and thought I would throw this in ..

The New Yorker
    : Experts Agree That Voter Impersonation Is "Virtually Non-Existent."
    Experts agree that actual incidents of in-person voter fraud -- the type of voter fraud that strict voter ID can prevent -- are exceedingly rare, and fears of voter fraud have been largely invented as a way to "excite the base":

[Election law scholar Rick] Hasen says that, while researching "The Voting Wars," he "tried to find a single case" since 1980 when "an election outcome could plausibly have turned on voter-impersonation fraud." He couldn't find one. News21, an investigative-journalism group, has reported that voter impersonation at the polls is a "virtually non-existent" problem. After conducting an exhaustive analysis of election-crime prosecutions since 2000, it identified only seven convictions for impersonation fraud. None of those cases involved conspiracy.
    Lorraine Minnite, a public-policy professor at Rutgers, collated decades of electoral data for her 2010 book, "The Myth of Voter Fraud," and came up with some striking statistics. In 2005, for example, the federal government charged many more Americans with violating migratory-bird statutes than with perpetrating election fraud, which has long been a felony. She told me, "It makes no sense for individual voters to impersonate someone. It's like committing a felony at the police station, with virtually no chance of affecting the election outcome." A report by the Times in 2007 also found election fraud to be rare. During the Bush Administration, the Justice Department initiated a five-year crackdown on voter fraud, but only eighty-six people were convicted of any kind of election crime.
    Hasen, who calls von Spakovsky a leading member of "the Fraudulent Fraud Squad," told me that he respects many other conservative advocates in his area of expertise, but dismisses scholars who allege widespread voter-impersonation fraud. "I see them as foot soldiers in the Republican army," he says. "It's just a way to excite the base. They are hucksters. They're providing fake scholarly support. They're not playing fairly with the facts. And I think they know it." [The New Yorker, 10/29/12]
    Brennan Center For Justice: These Recurring Claims Of Voter Fraud "Simply Do Not Pan Out." New York University School of Law's Brennan Center has repeatedly explained that in-person voter fraud is not a justification for strict voter ID, because voter impersonation is "more rare than getting struck by lightning":
    The most common example of the harm wrought by imprecise and inflated claims of "voter fraud" is the call for in-person photo identification requirements. Such photo ID laws are effective only in preventing individuals from impersonating other voters at the polls -- an occurrence more rare than getting struck by lightning.
    By throwing all sorts of election anomalies under the "voter fraud" umbrella, however, advocates for such laws artificially inflate the apparent need for these restrictions and undermine the urgency of other reforms.
    Moreover, as with all restrictions on voters, photo identification requirements have a predictable detrimental impact on eligible citizens. Such laws are only potentially worthwhile if they clearly prevent more problems than they create.
    [...]
    Royal Masset, the former political director for the Republican Party of Texas, concisely tied all of these strands together in a 2007 Houston Chronicle article concerning a highly controversial battle over photo identification legislation in Texas. Masset connected the inflated furor over voter fraud to photo identification laws and their expected impact on legitimate voters: "Among Republicans it is an 'article of religious faith that voter fraud is causing us to lose elections,' Masset said. He doesn't agree with that, but does believe that requiring photo IDs could cause enough of a dropoff in legitimate Democratic voting to add 3 percent to the Republican vote."
    This remarkably candid observation underscores why it is so critical to get the facts straight on voter fraud. The voter fraud phantom drives policy that disenfranchises actual legitimate voters, without a corresponding actual benefit. Virtuous public policy should stand on more reliable supports. [Brennan Center For Justice, 2007]

Thanks to mrchase!

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER psychojoe's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said earlier in the thread, there are collections close enough for this to matter. In the municipality that I live in, the 2010 mayoral election was decided by 8 votes. The 2008 senatorial election in Minnesota was decided only after two recounts and a court case. There is a simple remedy. As suggested by former ambassador Andrew Young, and former president Bill Clinton, put a picture on the social security card. Put a bar code on the card, scan it at the polling place for verification, and the issue goes away.

As to the objection raised that many have no photo ID, every state that requires this offers a free voter ID to those who non, and tell the how to get them. In Alabama,my "backwards" home state,ads are being run telling those who do not have an ID where to get them, with a number to call if you need help in getting one

Those who make the accusation that the purpose of voter ID s voter suppression are simply demagoging the issue.
    The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.

Milton Friedman