User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 108

Thread: Phillip Ely considering transfer from Alabama

  1. #21
    Roll Tide Roll HEISMAN BAMA JAMMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,525
    BamaBucks
    5,263
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 138 Times in 87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    WTH??? :shock:

    Since when did it become a crime to transfer out to so you can better your ambitions, goals, desires, etc?

    Is it a crime to leave a great company working as a bee in the background but want to start a new job where you have a better shot at excelling to the next level?

    Any time you have success there are bound to be people that will leave due to riding the bench for years. I don't blame those people, unless its to a hated rival. These guys only have so many years to showcase their body of work if their intentions are to make it to the NFL. There are other guys that don't have an ambition to go pro but DO want to play while they are still in college.

    It's life. It's not a generational thing.
    Last edited by BAMA JAMMA; 01-27-2013 at 05:20 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAMA JAMMA For This Useful Post:

    bamafan4ever (01-27-2013), Bo (01-28-2013)

  3. #22
    Bench Warmer HEISMAN Bamabww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Moulton, Alabama
    Posts
    1,012
    BamaBucks
    189,277
    Thanks
    1,141
    Thanked 140 Times in 90 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can't blame the young man. I'm sure the coaching staff has advised him on what his position is with the team. He gave Bama a shot and it just didn't work out.
    Bamabww (Wayne)

  4. #23
    Banned ALL-CONFERENCE 0LDSCH00L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    BamaBucks
    100
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman37 View Post
    Who in the world is sending him off with a ticker tape parade or calling him a hero?
    I guess I just assumed that he would get the kid gloves treatment that everyone gave Phillip Sims when he left for Virginia?

    http://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/sh...highlight=Sims

    Doesn't anyone understand what the word commitment means anymore?

    I get the feeling that the people who criticize me for not admiring someone who leaves Alabama or think I am "B & M" probably have never snapped a chin strap.

    We had a few players leave for other teams when I played and trust me we (his teammates) didn't send them off with good luck and well wishes. He was just a quitter to us plain and simple...

    You may be right guys, maybe not be generational thing at all, it may be more of a "been there" thing. Maybe from a (never played the game) fan's POV it looks a little different and it's easier to accept.

    I would bet my house that the people who are criticizing me are either under 30 or have never played football.

    Trust me, it won't sit well with anyone on the team except some of the other quarterbacks behind him on the depth chart if he ends up leaving.

    In any case I am in the team's and the coaches' corner on this issue, not in the player who decides he would rather play for another team somewhere else's corner...

    You may criticize me for what I am saying but if we were in battle you would be much better off with me in the foxhole with you than either PS or PE and you can bet your life on that...
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 01-27-2013 at 08:36 PM.

  5. #24
    RTB BOOKIE HEISMAN tidentrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    1,072
    BamaBucks
    5,505
    Thanks
    376
    Thanked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0LDSCH00L View Post
    I guess I just assumed that he would get the same treatment that everyone gave Phillip Sims?

    http://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/sh...highlight=Sims
    and your point is???
    UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA SIDEWALK ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
    **************** MEMBER SINCE 1968***************

  6. #25
    Roll Tide Roll HEISMAN BAMA JAMMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,525
    BamaBucks
    5,263
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 138 Times in 87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  7. #26
    Banned ALL-CONFERENCE 0LDSCH00L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    BamaBucks
    100
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tidentrue View Post
    and your point is???
    From the comments left for Sims on that thread it appeared he was leaving because it was best thing he could do for Alabama?

    Never mind, I just don't think you will ever understand
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 01-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.

  8. #27
    Registered Users HALL OF FAME MEMBER Birdman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    15,636
    BamaBucks
    20,572
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 455 Times in 305 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0LDSCH00L View Post
    I guess I just assumed that he would get the kid soft gloves treatment that everyone gave Phillip Sims when he left for Virginia?

    http://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/sh...highlight=Sims

    Doesn't anyone understand what the word commitment means anymore?

    I get the feeing that the people who criticize me for not admiring someone who leaves Alabama, just do not understand where I am coming from, or believe that I am just "B & M" probably have never snapped a chin strap.

    We had a few players leave for other teams when I played and trust me we (his teammates) didn't send them off with good luck and well wishes. He was just a quitter to us plain and simple...

    You may be right guys, maybe not be generational thing at all, it may be more of a "been there" thing. Maybe from a (never played the game) fan's POV it looks a little different and it's easier to accept.

    I would bet my house that the people who are criticizing me are either under 30 or have never played football.

    Trust me, it won't sit well with anyone on the team except some of the other quarterbacks behind him on the depth chart if he ends up leaving.

    In any case I am in the team's and the coaches' corner on this issue, not in the player who decides he would rather play for another team somewhere else's corner...

    You may criticize me for what I am saying but if we were in battle you would be much better off with me in the foxhole with you than either PS or PE and you can bet your ass on that...
    Okay first off, we are treating the same as Sims. We dont care that hes leaving, if he wants to leave thats fine for him. Transfers happen every single year and its perfectly fine. I wonder if you'd have this same type of attitude towards a player transferring to Bama, I find that hard to believe. I highly doubt you were calling Duron Carter a "quitter" when he was coming here.

    And as far as your little quip about "been there" and none of us never playing football, guess what? Wrong again Bob! I am under 30 tho. Excuse me for not thinking we should egg this guys house or something because he doesn't want to be here anymore. Coach Saban should try and force a player that doesn't want to be here I guess.

  9. #28
    Roll Tide Roll HEISMAN BAMA JAMMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,525
    BamaBucks
    5,263
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 138 Times in 87 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oldschool,

    I respect your opinion but did you ever play for big time college football, much less under Nick Saban?

    If I understand your post, you are thinking none of us ever played football for school growing up? The fact you played ball and your team had players leave, for one reason or another, does not in any way mean it's comparable to Nick Saban or the players of the Tide. How can you say you are on their side when there hasn't been anything mentioned of ill will towards Ely? Do you have any inside info?

    BTW I also played ball but I have a different opinion than you. Does that somehow mean your theory is debunked and that different teams can have different chemistry? Not everything has to have a negative man. Perhaps your team had some issues, I don't know but it doesn't really matter because sometimes things just don't work out or you want to make the best of the time you have.

    Lets be real, with the amount of success and competition at Alabama these days there are bound to be some guys that just don't work out for one reason or another. Maybe they don't find out until after the fact, even years later. i see no need to hold someone hostage on the term commitment in college football just because they came to Alabama. The Tide will continue to roll, enjoy it while it lasts.
    Last edited by BAMA JAMMA; 01-27-2013 at 08:09 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BAMA JAMMA For This Useful Post:

    uagrad93 (01-28-2013)

  11. #29
    STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER Argo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gadsden, AL.
    Posts
    13,012
    BamaBucks
    2,795
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 96 Times in 58 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0LDSCH00L View Post
    I guess I just assumed that he would get the soft gloves treatment that everyone gave Phillip Sims when he left for Virginia?

    http://www.rolltidebama.com/forum/sh...highlight=Sims

    Doesn't anyone understand what the word commitment means anymore?

    I get the feeing that the people who criticize me for not admiring someone who leaves Alabama is just "B & M" probably have never snapped a chin strap.

    We had a few players leave for other teams when I played and trust me we (his teammates) didn't send them off with good luck and well wishes. He was just a quitter to us plain and simple...

    You may be right guys, maybe not be generational thing at all, it may be more of a "been there" thing. Maybe from a (never played the game) fan's POV it looks a little different and it's easier to accept.

    I would bet my house that the people who are criticizing me are either under 30 or have never played football.

    Trust me, it won't sit well with anyone on the team except some of the other quarterbacks behind him on the depth chart if he ends up leaving.

    In any case I am in the team's and the coaches' corner on this issue, not in the player who decides he would rather play for another team somewhere else's corner...

    You may criticize me for what I am saying but if we were in battle you would be much better off with me in the foxhole with you than either PS or PE and you can bet your ass on that...

    85-10 = 75. 75+25 = 100. Being that you are admittedly an old timer, maybe you are accustomed to Coach Bryant's teams having 368 players on scholarship with guys excited to be 8th string for 4 years. The NCAA frowns upon that now. So kids are gonna go. Some may hang it up because of medical issues. Some may leave for family reasons, and some may leave because they'd like to start somewhere else. Whatever their reasons, they are gonna go. They do every year.

    So again I say, if he or anyone else decides it's best for them to play ball at a different college, including Auburn, then so be it. I wish them well, and I will every time. And if Saban wasn't already prepared for it, he wouldn't be signing a full class this year.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it” --Albert Einstein

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Argo For This Useful Post:

    BAMA JAMMA (01-27-2013)

  13. #30
    Banned ALL-CONFERENCE 0LDSCH00L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    360
    BamaBucks
    100
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman37 View Post
    Okay first off, we are treating the same as Sims. We dont care that hes leaving, if he wants to leave thats fine for him. Transfers happen every single year and its perfectly fine. I wonder if you'd have this same type of attitude towards a player transferring to Bama, I find that hard to believe. I highly doubt you were calling Duron Carter a "quitter" when he was coming here.

    And as far as your little quip about "been there" and none of us never playing football, guess what? Wrong again Bob! I am under 30 tho. Excuse me for not thinking we should egg this guys house or something because he doesn't want to be here anymore. Coach Saban should try and force a player that doesn't want to be here I guess.
    So I am wrong you say, did you quit or did you ever consider quitting your team Birdman?

    Nobody said one word about Saban forcing him to stay. In fact now that the cat is out of the bag he needs to just go. You see playing for a team is like being in a marriage Birdman, once you know your spouse is looking around for someone else to replace you, he or she has already burnt the bridge as far as I am concerned.

    Sure, when someone transfers to Alabama I am perfectly fine with that because I am an Alabama man and I want what is best for Alabama period, but I bet the team, coaches, and the fans of the school he left didn't pat him on the back and wish them well when he left them for Alabama, I do however question their character and I wasn't comfortable with DC either. As a famous coach once said;
    "If a man is a quitter, I'd rather find out in practice than in a game. I ask for all a player has so I'll know later what I can expect."
    `Paul Bryant~

    That's just like the discussion we all had about Ruban Foster. Some question his character because he de-commited from Auburn. So I have to ask, which is worse, de-commiting from a team before you even enroll or step on the practice field or quitting after you are part of a team and the coaches and team have put in so much time and effort in making you better?
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 01-27-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •