User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fluker Allowed To Play In Senior Bowl.....

RTB MEMBER HALL OF FAME MEMBER Swamptick's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fluker Allowed To Play In Senior Bowl.....

I have no problem with it. Fluker is, by all standards, a senior - despite minor technicalities.

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER Brandon Van de Graaff's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0LDSCH00L View Post
    Williams knows this is going to significantly cut into his playing time which reduce his chances of impressing the NFL scouts and coaches.
    The scouts all leave by Thursday afternoon, it's the practices (and sit-downs) they are interested in, and players all pretty much get equal reps by design.

Funny story on Michael Williams, this has happened to lots of players over the years at lots of places (especially at Alabama under Bryant), but Williams packed up and went home very quickly after his arrival at UA. It was "too tough". His mom basically told him to get his ass back there and suck it up. He did, and has turned out to be one of the top TE's headed into the draft... Kid comes from a good family...

"It's Alabama football. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay the hell out."

-Roll Tide

Banned ALL-CONFERENCE 0LDSCH00L's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamptick View Post
    I have no problem with it. Fluker is, by all standards, a senior - despite minor technicalities.
    You might see it as more than just a minor technicality if you were one of the other Offensive Linemen hoping and praying for just a chance:

72 Oday Aboushi OL 6'6" 310 Virginia
    76 D.J. Fluker OL 6'6" 335 Alabama
    64 Dalton Freeman OL 6'5" 285 Clemson
    65 Garrett Gilkey OL 6'7" 320 Chadron State
    69 Lane Johnson OL 6'6" 303 Oklahoma
    73 Xavier Nixon OL 6'5" 314 Florida
    57 Brian Schwenke OL 6'4" 300 Cal
    71 Dallas Thomas OL 6'5" 310 Tennessee
    74 J.C. Tretter OL 6'4" 300 Cornell
    67 Larry Warford OL 6'3" 343 Kentucky
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 01-21-2013 at 09:10 AM.

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 917 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0LDSCH00L View Post
    You might see it as more than just a minor technicality if you were one of the other Offensive Linemen hoping and praying for just a chance:
    "Hoping and praying for just a chance" at what?

I believe you're putting far too much emphasis on 60 minutes of action on the 26th.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryP For This Useful Post:

tidentrue (01-21-2013)

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    "Hoping and praying for just a chance" at what?

I believe you're putting far too much emphasis on 60 minutes of action on the 26th.
    Well, I guess that is according to where you are in the pecking order. If you are Fluker, it's all good. Then again if you are someone like Garrett Gilkey of Chadron State (or worse) if you were that 11th guy on the list of 10 Offensive Linemen that was supposed to get invited, then it's not good at all...

Terry, there have been many "off the radar" players that have really improved the position in the draft or just got noticed just by their participation and play in the Senior Bowl.

Why do you think DJ is there? He is there to improve his chances at being drafted higher and he might be taking someone's spot who really wanted to be there but was bumped and IS actually a Senior whose eligibility has actually expired.

The Senior Bowl is not for Great Junior players like DJ Fluker, it is for unknown Senior players like: Garrett Gilkey of Chadron State, and JC Tretter of Cornell IMO.

The week-long practice that precedes the game is attended by key NFL personnel (including coaches, general managers, and scouts), who oversee the players as possible prospects for pro football. At one point the Senior Bowl was the first chance its participants had to openly receive pay for participation in an athletic event. This was one reason that participation was limited to seniors whose eligibility for further participation in collegiate football had expired, and the game was also their first exposure to the slightly different professional rules.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Bowl

Who plays in the Senior Bowl?

Each year, the Senior Bowl rosters feature the nation’s top senior collegiate football players and NFL draft prospects on teams representing the North and South.
    http://www.seniorbowl.com/faq.asp#faq6

Here is someone else who shouldn't be there sniffing around:

Ex-LSU star ‘Honey Badger’ Mathieu attends Senior Bowl practices

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...446_story.html
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 01-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER planomateo's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly don't care about the others who aren't there, so lets focus on the positive.

He doesn't look 355 lbs. Combine that with being 6 foot 4-7/8" and having a HUGE wingspan of 87".

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by planomateo View Post
    I honestly don't care about the others who aren't there, so lets focus on the positive.

He doesn't look 355 lbs. Combine that with being 6 foot 4-7/8" and having a HUGE wingspan of 87".

I am not trying to be negative at all. Like I have always said, I love DJ Fluker. This doesn't have anything to do with him, this is only about the Senior Bowl and the precedent they might be setting here by letting a Junior with eligibility left participate in the Senior Bowl.

If they start doing this for everyone where will it end? Where will it leave those unheralded Seniors who have always seen the Senior Bowl as their only chance to get noticed?

I will admit that I am obsessive about doing what's right and fair for everyone involved...

I am just sticking up for those guys...
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 01-22-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Registered Users HEISMAN uagrad93's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just 1 more game where a kid will get 30-35 reps. A school's Pro Day and the NFL Combine will be where this little known kids jump out at scouts and coaches!

Mathieu was only there to watch. He isn't participating.
    If you believe in yourself, never quit, you'll be a winner.... The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant