BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uagrad93 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    Terry, what are your thoughts on it? We all know (myself included) that if any coach can do it, Saban is that coach. But we've seen his team let it get away from them before (2010) and that was after one title and GMac wasn't near as umm...exuberant as AJ, nor was he bedding Miss Alabama. With a lack of "superstars" so to speak, this team won with perfect technique instead of technique and world-beater talent like last year's bunch. I'm not insulting this year's group at all--results speak for themselves, of course. It feels to me, as a guy that doesn't watch as much Bama as you all do, that this bunch wouldn't have the luxury of letting their guard down like a bunch led by 3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. How do you see that suing out with the losses?

I still think your offense will be fine. AJ is still a good QB and will arguably be the best in school history. He will also have his fair share of distractions this summer. Yeldon is great. Fowler and Harr will be healthy and you have 27 running backs committed. The OL is losing a ton and while they will no doubt be good next year, I hope I don't hear anyone say they'll be just as good as this year because they won't, not many in the country will ever be as good as this year's OL. Regardless, Saban has recruited small rhinos at that position so there will always be talent.

Sorry for the ginormous, meandering question. I have bronchitis and I'm on cough syrup. If something doesn't make sense just mod edit it out :cool:

This offense next season could be EVEN MORE potent than this group that just finished with setting numerous school records. I believe O line play will be pretty good with Steen and CK anchoring the line. We have numerous guys with experience a long with bringing to guys in ( Hill out of prep school and Brown from JUCO) that can immediately step into the HUGE shoes that DJ just left. Is there anyone as versitile as Barrett Jones, probably not. We have a stable of backs here ( Fowler and Hart back from injury)and more committed (Henry, Jones, and Tenpenny). Wrs returning (Cooper, Norwood, Cyrus Jones, Christion Jones, Chris Black) and incoming ( Falkins, Foster, Stewart)! AJ is better than GOOD! Defensively, we should be better than this bunch as well. Ivory managed NG, Stinson, Fanning(belly to back), Pagan, Pettway, Lake, Kirven, Tomlinson. LBs will be talented with only the loss of Nico Johnson. The secondary will be better as well. We lose Milliner and Lester, but return Belue, Fulton, G. Smith, Clinton-Dix, Sunseri, Landon Collins, J. Williams back from injury, Nick Perry, and Eddie Williams.
    The talent is here for another run! I believe the leadership is here too! Saban will have his mantra down and delivered by the time the parade is over next weekend!!
    Thank you for the insight. I appreciate responses that don't involve attacking me because of the AU logo as my icon.

I agree with your assessment on the D. Experience was the issue this year and that should be resolved. Skill positions are loaded. Your O will hinge on a talented but inexperienced bunch.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    I never thought this group had a great chance at bringing home the BCS trophy, and considered next year's group the be the next with a better than average shot. I know Saban constantly talks about expectations and rankings, so I enjoyed watching him say this group exceeded expectations. I believe they did.

Next year, we're going to have some new guys on the line, but those new guys are going to be driven to prove themselves. I think that helps. Hard to be complacent when you're trying to prove your worth. Yeldon is back, and honestly I don't think we'll see a drop off in the backfield for a few years. If Jalston makes a full recovery, we'll have that big guy who can pound between the tackles. Receivers only get better with the addition of the new guys and injured guys making a return.

I can somewhat see what Duder is talking about, but watching AJ flip his lid about the snap count late in the game, something tells me he is going to be driven that much more to make sure EVERYONE knows that 2013 will be his team, no questions.

As Terry stated, defensive side of the ball should be better than this year. At least, I thought 13 would be better than 12 defensively 6 months ago. Clinton-Dix is going to be a playmaker at safety next year, but we'll need a corner to step up. Vinnie is back, CJ is back.

Of the list of things I'd like to see by the end of spring practice.... I hope to see a standout corner emerge, I hope to see a good QB/C exchange, and I hope that we get better at returning punts. We haven't had a true threat to take a punt back on a consistent basis since Javy. Christian Jones has good hands, but he sometimes makes bad decisions. Very few have costs us, but he's still made some bad ones. I liked Cyrus Jones (who also made a few bad decisions) and wouldn't mind seeing Cooper field a few.
    I 100% agree that they exceeded expectations. Your coaching staff did a tremendous job.

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate responses that don't involve attacking me because of the AU logo as my icon.

I agree with your assessment on the D. Experience was the issue this year and that should be resolved. Skill positions are loaded. Your O will hinge on a talented but inexperienced bunch.
    Where do you see the inexperience?

Lack of starts I'll grant; inexperience I won't.

If we take Arie, just as one example, he's been in the program three years now. That hardly qualifies as lack of experience. In fact, I'd call Leon as the inexperienced one and that's with the two years of JUCO under his belt.

Senior Member HEISMAN BamaFan615's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest area of concern will be our CB's. The safeties will be fine, but Belue is going to have to step up, and then we need to find another guy opposite him. I'm thinking that it will be between Geno Smith, who looked like he could be a player, and John Fulton. That is, unless we pick up some guy out of JUCO, but I don't know of anyone that we're going after.

DL and LB - we'll just continue to roll the next group in with little, to zero drop off in talent and execution.

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER bamafan4ever's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a "typical Barner" for noticing that AJ is drawing more attention this offseason than any QB in recent memory? The Miss Alabama thing isn't an issue for me personally. I don't care who he sleeps with. My point is it will draw more attention and of you've missed that the last few days you've not been paying attention.

The kid is talented and Saban is a great motivator. My question, for Terry, was simply asking his opinion on matters I've heard discussed on radio shows, that weren't "Barner" shows because Terry is closer to the program than I will ever be and I enjoy his insight.

I didn't say I hate AJ. It is simply a question for discussion. This is, after all, a message board for discussing Alabama football, yes?
    Are you kiding? What about Johnny Manziel and Matt Barkley before USC's collapse. In recent memory does Cam Newton and Tim Tebow ring a bell? I think AJ stll doesn't get the attention he deserves quite frankly which could be a blessing in disguise. His girl got more press than he did after the game and even with 20-26 and 4 td's in the BCS Championship, he fails to get offensive player of the game. I hope that game manager label (which is bunk) doesn't get to his head though!

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER bamafan4ever's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and Duder, I have never attacked you because you are an AU fan but your original post seemed pretty "company line" to me. If it's any consolation I do think you are the best AU contributor in my 8.5 years of experience on this board. I really mean that too.

Registered Users HEISMAN bamaraider's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

11-1 or 10-2. Who do you see being that 1 loss or even 2 losses? A&M will be the challenge simply because they got us this season, but we get them week 3 with 2 weeks to prepare. We also know that CNS likes to sprinkle looks from everyone on our schedule during the Spring and Fall camp without telling them which team they are actually preparing for. No way LSU is near as good with their losing 10 juniors to the draft and 12 seniors, including 3 of their starting OL. Barn? Arky? Va Tech? Honestly, our schedule lines up better in 2013 than what it did this past season.
    We're definitely not going to lose to Va Tech. I could see A&M breaking our streak for starting the SEC with a win, Jake Mathews returning his huge....but they do lose a lot of players on defense. The other loss......Yeah I really don't know, usually there is a surprise team in the SEC, but this schedule sets up nicely.....Never sleep on Mississippi State.
    Last edited by bamaraider; 01-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Registered Users HEISMAN bamaraider's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    2010 saw Jones returning at RG, Vlachos at center, and Carpenter at LT. We had Warmack and Fluker as our two new starters.

Here's the thing to keep in mind and it goes back to 2010. Arie was the back up for the RT slot in 2010. I'm thinking he'll end up at the one of the guard positions opposite Steen. If the reports hold true we'll be in very good shape with Leon taking over DJ's RT slot. The question that comes into play is what Argo mentioned earlier; the center position. If Kelly indeed takes that role, which I'm pretty sure that's where we are headed, the kid doesn't lack experience. He's played in nine games this season.
    What is Kelly? A Sophomore next year? Could you see Steen maybe taking over that Center position or moving to RT?

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaraider View Post
    What is Kelly? A Sophomore next year? Could you see Steen maybe taking over that Center position or moving to RT?
    Kelly will be a redshirt sophomore next season.

Behind Jones, we've had Shepard and Kelly handling the center position and this season Shepard has been backing up Fluker at the RT position.

Barring injury, or simply not being ready for SEC play, I believe we'll have Leon Brown play the RT position. He's been playing the left tackle for ASA college in NY and doing a heck of a job from the reports I've read.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryP For This Useful Post:

bamaraider (01-13-2013)

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaraider View Post
    11-1 or 10-2. Who do you see being that 1 loss or even 2 losses? A&M will be the challenge simply because they got us this season, but we get them week 3 with 2 weeks to prepare. We also know that CNS likes to sprinkle looks from everyone on our schedule during the Spring and Fall camp without telling them which team they are actually preparing for. No way LSU is near as good with their losing 10 juniors to the draft and 12 seniors, including 3 of their starting OL. Barn? Arky? Va Tech? Honestly, our schedule lines up better in 2013 than what it did this past season.
    We're definitely not going to lose to Va Tech. I could see A&M breaking our streak for starting the SEC with a win, Jake Mathews returning his huge....but they do lose a lot of players on defense. The other loss......Yeah I really don't know, usually there is a surprise team in the SEC, but this schedule sets up nicely.....Never sleep on Mississippi State.
    Ole Miss will be another team to watch.