User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laughing at Lou—Holtz's advice to Saban, "Get players to pay attention to clutter."

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 913 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideinGA View Post
    He's more than a domer, he's a Razorback and a Gamecock. If all three of those teams were undefeated and ranked in the top 3 he'd make a case how they could all win against each other. Heck he might even declare them all a three way split National Champions. And his head would explode if they played one another and he had to pick. He might say it would end in a tie. Hell if those three teams were 0-11 playing the New England Patriots he'd still pick one of his former schools to win. He's the epitome of a HOMER.
    He coaches several places but he's always been a Notre Dame guy.

When he was at UofSC he was invited to give one of his motivational speeches to a group here in town. Understand, still employed as head coach at UofSC and he shows up for the speech decked out in Notre Dame gear.

My degree of respect for him dropped a few points that day. It wasn't widely covered and it certainly should have been. I kid you not when I say it came down to editorial decisions of the local sports staff on whether this should be mentioned, or just let slide. They chose the later.

I really don't care if he chooses to pick former teams he's coached when he does his schtick on ESPN. Fact is, I've seen him pick against Arkansas and UofSC. He certainly has picked ND to win each game this season and we see where we are now.

By titling this thread "Laughing at Lou" it wasn't my intention to disrespect what he does. He filling the role he was hired to play. It's no different from Corso doing the same thing Beano did when College Gameday first aired.

Registered Users ALL-AMERICAN cjaytch's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    He coaches several places but he's always been a Notre Dame guy.

When he was at UofSC he was invited to give one of his motivational speeches to a group here in town. Understand, still employed as head coach at UofSC and he shows up for the speech decked out in Notre Dame gear.

My degree of respect for him dropped a few points that day. It wasn't widely covered and it certainly should have been. I kid you not when I say it came down to editorial decisions of the local sports staff on whether this should be mentioned, or just let slide. They chose the later.

I really don't care if he chooses to pick former teams he's coached when he does his schtick on ESPN. Fact is, I've seen him pick against Arkansas and UofSC. He certainly has picked ND to win each game this season and we see where we are now.

By titling this thread "Laughing at Lou" it wasn't my intention to disrespect what he does. He filling the role he was hired to play. It's no different from Corso doing the same thing Beano did when College Gameday first aired.
    I still think Ole Lou holds a grudge against Bama for Bear putting a 24-9 whipping on his Hogs to win a NC and for Perkins making him the only ND coach to lose to Bama.

Senior Member HEISMAN RollllTide!'s Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lou Holtz is a one sided entertainment junkie. I remember his motivational speeches he made for a company I worked for. All about him and how he coached. He is all about Neuter Damn. He will have his catheter installed and his depends on before the game just so he won't p himself if ND wins. Count on one thing. BAMA will be ready for this game because they don't care about ESPN and know that the only way any one there will shut up about ND is to shut them up on the field. (Mark May and Herb Street is the only sane ones in that crowd)

Even though we win the game, the reward will be short lived because they have Ohio State to promote next year.

Registered Users HEISMAN bamaraider's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No disrespect to #1 Irish, but some of their fans are starting to get very lippy. I tried talking to one (who I never knew was an Irish fan until he colored his desk in Irish gear this year), I gave him a quick "Roll Tide" and a smile...The obnoxiousness flowed out, how McCarron struggles against top 10 teams this year, you have no threat outside of Cooper, and Yeldon+Lacey are in for a world of hurt when Te'o puts them on their arses, Riddick is the best RB you will see this year....Good guy outside of sports though..

A good test is too read some of their forums and too see how long you can last before you rage.

Banned ALL-CONFERENCE 0LDSCH00L's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lou is the only ESPN "Talking Head" that is able to completely get away with being a total unapologetic Homer...

Any team that Lou Holtz has ever coached or even been involved with is the greatest team since the Four Horsemen played at Notre Dame with is not true either!

He make me want to throw up in my mouth every time he speaks!
    Last edited by 0LDSCH00L; 12-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.

RTB MEMBER HALL OF FAME MEMBER Swamptick's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sorry. I am so busy wiping Louspit off my face that it has become hard to enjoy this thread.

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 913 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm the only one here—if not I know I'm one of only a few—that doesn't mind Lou being a homer when he's on the air.

I don't care if he's a fan of a team. I don't care if any of the ESPN (or any other major network) personalities allow their fandom to come through when they are discussing games.

That said, I'll admit I've seen a few take it too far. But, it doesn't make me dislike their commentary. It just allows me to understand where it's coming from.

Case in point.

Stu Scott is one of the biggest UNC fans out there. When he covers college basketball on Sportscenter you can't miss his fandom. That's no big deal to me.

I will listen to his opinion on Pro Football and take it seriously. He's one of the few commentators that actually put in the work, got himself in good enough shape, to make it through a mini-camp with the Jets when Herm Edwards was there.