BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alabama's Pruitt is now a Florida State Seminole

FSU finally has a defensive coordinator

It's been nearly three weeks since Mark Stoops announced he was leaving FSU to become Kentucky's head coach but it appears as though Jimbo Fisher finally has a new defensive coordinator.
    Gene Williams - Warchant.com
    Fisher will likely announce his new hire this week.

LINK
    On Saturday word began to leak out that Alabama defensive backs coach Jeremy Pruitt, who interviewed for the position last Friday, had accepted the job. The Alabama Press-Register and TideSports.com's Andrew Bone reported the news very early Sunday morning.It hasn't been officially announced but it is likely that Pruitt won't join the FSU coaching staff full-time until after Alabama plays its national championship game against Notre Dame on Jan. 7.
    The 38-year old has made a quick rise up the coaching charts since coaching defense at Hoover High School in 2006. After taking on the role of Alabama's director of player development in 2007, Pruitt was named the Tide's defensive back coach in 2010. That was his first full-time college coaching job. Less than three years later the Alabama native is set to take over as the Seminoles' defensive coordinator.

Senior Member HEISMAN BamaFan615's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    FSU will be damn hard to beat in Mobile
    This was my first thought. That might be the largest factor in his hiring by Saban.

Registered Users HEISMAN ElephantStomp's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFan615 View Post
    This was my first thought. That might be the largest factor in his hiring by Saban.
    Pit does cause a person to pause, but I still think Kirby is a much better recruiter. Also, I think Saban knew about this of some time and has already gotten ahead of this.

Registered Users HEISMAN bamaraider's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    FSU will be damn hard to beat in Mobile
    Never thought about that but damn you're right...They better keep their hands off of Daphne and Foley

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER planomateo's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 618 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I agree that they will be hard to beat in Mobile.

Guess it all depends on how they change up the areas of responsibility - Craig vs Pruitt. Both have been recruiting the area, which one wins...

Or am I missing the boat on this?

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaraider View Post
    Never thought about that but damn you're right...They better keep their hands off of Daphne and Foley
    Pruitt's responsibility in Mobile was shifted to a large extent before the season started. He still recruited some of the schools in the area but a good number of schools down there were assigned to Thompson.

He's a good recruiter so don't take that the wrong way. He isn't as strong of a recruiter as some of the guys we've had down there the past few years.

Dameyune Craig won't disappear from that area. At least, I don't see Jimbo Fisher changing his territory. I also don't think FSU would assign two guys to recruit one school.

I have no idea who Saban decides to put down there. I've seen some suggest Kevin Sigler—currently on the staff working in an analyst type position. He's well known in the area due to his success as the coach at Blount.

Now, going from a GA type position to one on the field is a huge transition. I don't know how well he's progressed and how much he's learned working with the staff. That said, let's not forget Pruitt was a coach in high school, took the player development position before moving on the field to coach DB's.

Senior Member ALL-CONFERENCE Billie Bob's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why did he leave now? I visited with a former Shula era starter yesterday and he was as stunned as I was about this move. At this time he did not see CJP as coordinator material. I think this was a "I'll prove Saban I can do it" type move. Having said that, I really cannot blame him for trying to better himself both personally and professionally though.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Bob View Post
    But why did he leave now? I visited with a former Shula era starter yesterday and he was as stunned as I was about this move. At this time he did not see CJP as coordinator material. I think this was a "I'll prove Saban I can do it" type move. Having said that, I really cannot blame him for trying to better himself both personally and professionally though.
    Versus leaving when?

He earned an interview with a top 20 school, a position as a defensive coordinator versus a defensive backs coach, and over 500K a year extra in the ol' bank account per year.

With that opportunity, how could he not have jumped?

It certainly seems early in his career to get such a position considering he's only been an on the field coach for either three or four years. I think this may be the end of his fourth season.

Quick progressions up the ladder also have their counterparts.

Take Kevin Steele as example. He wanted the DC title, got it with Clemson, and I saw it phrased today "he's been interning at LSU this past season." I'd lean on calling it a consultant type of role but I don't know how much he's been working with the team.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)