User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Lawd have mercy!" Dodd believes selection committee should be "media heavy."

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default "Lawd have mercy!" Dodd believes selection committee should be "media heavy."

Color me surprised.

If you can't see the sarcasm, stop reading.

We've had our discussions about how the selection committee should be chosen. It's been an interesting series of discussions with some valid points voiced supporting all sides. One thing we've all agreed on is the impossibility to remove bias from any selection process. There is going to be a human element involved no matter how it is constructed.

What strikes me about this latest article from CBS reporter Dennis Dodd is it is exactly what I mentioned a few weeks ago. In fact, it was Dodd that I used as an example. A good majority of the media wants to be the story, not report the story.

Since the day the AP poll was removed from the BCS formula they've wanted back in the picture in any way possible. The fact still remains while some of them do understand football, you have just as many who have no clue what the game is about fundamentally. Others, on their personal crusades, have felt teams that had no business being ranked high nationally in the first place should be considered.

There are some respectable names offered here by Dodd. (...with a good number of them likely to have no desire to even be part of this process) But, there are just as many that hold question marks.

Mike Tranghese? A man to has had a hand in practically removing the Big East from the football picture because he thought basketball was the smart move?

With all of these examples there's one point that has to be considered. And, it is a point that outweighs any argument anyone can proffer.

It's not their job.

Read More Here...

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say I'd agree with maybe 10 of those folks being on the committee.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with using the current BCS poll to seed the 4 team playoff. I think more emphasis would need to be put on SOS, but other than that, I like the BCS poll.
    If a team doesn't think tough, practice tough, and live tough, how the hell are they gonna play tough on Saturday?

Paul W. Bryant

Registered Users HEISMAN bamaraider's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would still like the BCS format in taking the top 4. Who will be on the Selection Committee?

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TDB on members. Heard rumors about this committee only releasing info a few times a year. That'll upset a lot, I'm sure.

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER planomateo's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how I see this going down....

if they have a chance to prevent a conf from having 2 teams in the playoff, they will do it. just my gut feeling if they have a bunch of tools in the selection committee

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This isn't going to sound good but I saying it anyway. Having six bowls in the mix tells me they aren't through.

I'm seeing the day where we have two teams meeting in the championship game and neither can play their best game because they don't have enough healthy players.

I can't say it would upset me to see them talk about how good this or that team would have been if they had all 11 starters.

Imagine a game where you have Heisman winner and a Doak Walker winner in street clothes.

Does anyone believe the NCAA will allow more scholarships to provide more depth?

Registered Users HEISMAN bamaraider's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mark May said it best that this is just another open door step to renegotiate things further down in the road to an 8 team or 16 team playoff.

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER psychojoe's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of all the names on the list, the only ones I have any enthusiasm for are Don James, Herbstreit and Barnhart. Maybe Maisel.
    The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.

Milton Friedman

Registered Users HEISMAN uagrad93's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many will only add to more bickering and complaining. Divide the country into 4 regions and take 10 from each region. No beat writers or alumni need apply.
    If you believe in yourself, never quit, you'll be a winner.... The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant