User Tag List

Thread: Looks like Bleacher Report is about to be sold for a whopping 200 million plus...

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Looks like Bleacher Report is about to be sold for a whopping 200 million plus...

Bleacher Report Is On The Block, And It Almost Sold To Turner Source

Nicholas Carlson|April 19, 2012|
    3,366|2

Massive sports site Bleacher Report is on the block and it almost got acquired by Turner, an M&A source tells us.
    Bleacher Report CEO Brian Grey says: "Our focus is building this business a great consumer experience in sports digital media."

Asked to confirm or deny the news, he said Bleacher Report does not comment on rumors.
    An industry source says Bleacher Report would likely sell for a price north of $200 million.
    A Turner spokesperson says: "We don't comment on speculation concerning our business."
    Founded in 2007, Bleacher Report is now one of the top sports site on the web with 25 million monthly unique visitors. Rival SB Nation, now called Vox, is even bigger and is also an aquisition target.

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER Doemasters's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Who did you deal with there?

It was Zander who originally contacted me and asked about dual links and contributions several years ago.

Crazy thing is Franklin, if you would have stuck with it you might have landed one of their paid positions...I know they started paying about a year or so ago.

We stopped sharing content here when I grew tired of seeing all the articles posted that, well, were simply wrong information. I think it's been three years since we were linked there...chit, time flies.

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER planomateo's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Crazy View Post
    Speaking for all of us that made Bleacher Report what it is today all I can say is where is my share?
    you know, I was kinda curious what their model is. Do any of their writers get paid?

Is it all ad based revenue?

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by planomateo View Post
    you know, I was kinda curious what their model is. Do any of their writers get paid?

Is it all ad based revenue?
    When they first started, they did it just like any other site would do. Find a site and see if they are willing to exchange links.

I was contacted about having their link here and posting articles over there. The deal was articles the staff here wrote were also posted there and RTB was listed as their "Official Alabama web site." We had a link to our forum there for a couple of years. At that time, we were running a blog here under the domain name Rolltidebama but the message forum was CrimsonTusks.com. (when we made a software change we took the message forum to RTB, the blog to CrimsonTusk...and now, with this software all of it is combined under RTB. Although, we still have CrimsonTusks and may resurrect that soon with a little bit of a different direction...another story)

They made some changes on their design and pulled the link to this site. So, I contacted them and pretty much said if you pull mine I'll remove yours and stop submitting articles. They complied and that lasted for a few more months until another redesign and our link was removed again.

At that point, along with a few other contributing factors, I said "F it." Hell, we had articles being copied and pasted from our site and published over there...not sure who it was that was doing so. But, it was blatant plagiarism. I confronted them about it...got a run around for a few days until I took the time to list...here's our article on this date...here's a copy of it on your forum at this date...someone is stealing our chit and posting it over there under a different name and that person has no relation to our forum at all.

Chit Matt. They even questioned me how I knew it wasn't someone from this site. I knew it wasn't anyone on staff because I had asked each and every staff member here. One guy asked me how I knew it wasn't original material. "Because I WROTE the damn thing."

I know the last year we were in a partnership with BR was in 2009. If you google my name, or CrimsonTusks...you'll see some of our stuff over there.

To say the least...we parted ways. It wasn't soon after that the public perception of their product began its downturn and you can easily see how it is perceived today.

There are a few positions over there that are paid. When it started, it was all ad revenue. When Scout and CBS came on board the payments started...now, it's a select few paid to cover teams, conferences, sports, etc.

It was a brilliant business plan...as you can see over a three, four year period look at what's being offered.

We've got a partnership of sorts with yardbarker now. But, I haven't done anything with it in awhile now...too many things fell on me at one point and it was just too much to handle.

The Yardbarker stuff is likely to continue again in the next few weeks...