Thread: transfers?

Registered Users HEISMAN BamaCore's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A while back I think Sheridan hinted that Simms may transfer to Virginia. Not that he's going to be right about that or anything. I really hate it for the guy considering his family moved down here and everything, but it is what it is. Gotta give him credit for coming here knowing there would be tough competition. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.

-RTB ADMINISTRATOR HALL OF FAME MEMBER TerryP's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 910 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jumping back and forth between these two posts with what I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    Danny Sheridan apparently said on Twitter that Phil Simms, among others, would transfer. Phil leaving wouldn't be that much of a shock to me. He also said Dee Hart was 60/40 on transferring? Why the hell would he leave?

Terry, this is directed at you I suppose. Any truth to this or is this another "bagman" case w/ Sheridan?

Anyone is welcome to chime in. Hart transferring would be RIDICULOUS. Simms, eh. He isn't unseating AJ so I can't say I'd blame him
    Quote Originally Posted by uagrad93 View Post
    Well, I didn't think Sims would leave even though it was obvious. To me, I thought he would've left in January. Him going through the Spring and then transferring doesn't seem logical. Good luck to him where ever he decides to go. Still doubt Dee leaves. If a running back was to leave, you would think Blake Sims or Even Jalston would be the one on the outside looking in.
    As with any independent web-site, we've got a "back room" here for the staff, along with some of the members who we like have donated to the site.

I say that because I told those there were conversations in the locker room in February about Sims going to UVA. I'd have to go look for the thread but I want to say it was the second or third week of that month. At that point, Nussmeier had just been on campus for about a month and had taken the time to get to know Phillip. There were hopes the new relationship with the back-up and new OC would make Sims re-think his decision. It hasn't.

Sheridan mention two others we already knew were gone. Hell, if you look at Carswell alone...we've known that for how long?

Now, I know where (at least I think I do) Sheridan got his info on Phillip. I'm friends with his wife's family who are very closely connected with the Alabama-Mobile contingents. I haven't heard anything about Hart. But, I do know where Danny will be having dinner tomorrow. I'll be sure he's asked where he's hearing it from...I'll let ya know if I can.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TerryP For This Useful Post:

LBS (04-28-2012)

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER psychojoe's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will go out on a limb a little and say I think Phillip transfers down. If he transfers to a BCS subdivision school he will have to sit out for a year. That would mean he was red shirted as a freshman, was a back up as a sophomore, would be running someone's scout team as a junior and can't be anyone's starter until 2014. If he goes the 1AA route he would be eligible immediately.

In any case the best to Phillip, whereever he lands.
    The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.

Milton Friedman

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psychojoe View Post
    I will go out on a limb a little and say I think Phillip transfers down. If he transfers to a BCS subdivision school he will have to sit out for a year. That would mean he was red shirted as a freshman, was a back up as a sophomore, would be running someone's scout team as a junior and can't be anyone's starter until 2014. If he goes the 1AA route he would be eligible immediately.

In any case the best to Phillip, whereever he lands.
    I've gotten the impression he's pushing for a hardship waiver.

Senior Member HEISMAN BamaDelta's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    I've gotten the impression he's pushing for a hardship waiver.
    Yep, that is being published now on al.com. I don't know the dynamics of the situation, but it appears to be a family member's health (assuming a parent?).

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDelta View Post
    Yep, that is being published now on al.com. I don't know the dynamics of the situation, but it appears to be a family member's health (assuming a parent?).
    I don't know. All I do know is there was talk about him transferring to Virginia in the locker room back in Feb. I haven't really followed this.

STAFF HALL OF FAME MEMBER planomateo's Avatar
    BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Ely get 3rd string reps? Besides the obvious negative of being thin at QB now, Sims kinda robbed Ely of some meaningful snaps during Spring ball.

chalk it up to timing, had he been here in the last 10 years, I'd imagine he would have set some records. Kinda talent then vs now kinda thing.

good luck Sims, thanks for competing.
    Last edited by planomateo; 04-28-2012 at 05:56 PM.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by planomateo View Post
    Did Ely get 3rd string reps? Besides the obvious negative of being thin at QB now, Sims kinda robbed Ely of some meaningful snaps during Spring ball.

chalk it up to timing, had he been here in the last 10 years, I'd imagine he would have set some records. Kinda talent then vs now kinda thing.

good luck Sims, thanks for competing.
    I'm sure the staff keeps a record of the amount of reps QB's get through spring ball. And, I'd almost be willing to bet that Ely and Sims' numbers were close. Remember, Phillip was dealing with a shoulder injury all spring. As a result of that, Ely was forced into more reps on a few things; specifically passing drills.

Let's face it. If AJ happened to be hurt it's the passing game we'd be concerned with the most. It would be those decisions made under center where Phillip would have the advantage, right?

The biggest thing that makes me uncomfortable about a QB leaving falls under recruiting. It means we'll be looking to sign at least two in a class. So, we'll end up in a situation just like the one we are getting out of now. Two QB's, likely with the same eligibility period, fighting for a spot. One won't get it. Will he leave?

QB transfers very well may be the hardest to manage; roster-wise.

BamaBucks
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now, going to to the thread title, "transfers."

It would be nice, seemingly, to have a transfer come in for the QB position. There's a catch there.

I've yet to see Saban offer a QB without that QB going through camp. I think it was Riley Ferguson (QB recruit from NC) who indicated Saban had pretty much spelled it out to him in those words, "No camp, no offer."

I can't think of a JUCO QB that played at LSU, or a transfer. So, I don't know if there is any history of him considering that.

Who knows...makes it something to watch. On the "What If..." side of things...

What if AJ just shows out, decides to leave early...